Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default New Linux Based Smartphone OS from MontaVista

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3500036

"MontaVista Software unleashed a new embedded operating system designed to make smartphone players like Microsoft and Symbian sit up and take note. The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Linux vendor, known for its embedded Linux offerings, announced its Mobilinux 4.0 product designed for the $300 and $600 mobile and wireless device market. The operating system is scheduled to ship in the second quarter of 2005 and immediately benefit MontaVista's partners such as Openwave and palmOne as well as Motorola, NEC and Panasonic. ...The new operating system features a fast start-up (less than 1 second), a small footprint, and better performance while extending battery life. The operating system also features support for RFID, Bluetooth, and SAMBA."

1 Second? Something tells me that's not correct. Maybe they're talking about resuming from suspend or something like that. I just can't see a smartphone doing a full boot, such that I could dial a call or check email, in less than a second. Welcome to the party MontaVista, and be sure to hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy road ahead.