¹ Zune vs. iPod - In Pictures! - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Zune vs. iPod - In Pictures!

http://www.jakeludington.com/zune/20061001_zune_and_ipod_photo_comparison.html

"I got face time with a Zune this weekend and decided to look at how the form factor compares to the 80GB iPod I picked up a few days ago. The Zune weighs considerably less than the iPod, although I didn't have a scale on hand to get exact comparison. It felt like the Zune was more comparable to my Cingular 2125 phone, while the iPod weighs quite a bit more."

Side-by-side with the iPod, the Zune does look larger in height and thickness. However, according to Jake Ludington, the Zune feels lighter, which is a real bonus. Jake's final pictures show the black Zune and the blue trim in all its glory (I'm really digging this colour scheme), with large album art and a neat UI (something I'm also digging). Check it out!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
kiwi
Thinker

nice to see a real photo.

I was a bit surprised at some of the details regarding the WiFi use of the Zune.

Price will be a major factor in the success of this device, though, after visiting the the New Apple store last weekend in Etobicoke, Toronto (Sherway Gardens) and seeing the new ipods in action Microsoft and their resellers have a tough time to compete. Apple Ipods are alwayds demonstrated at the apple store and places like BestBuy with a live model the consumer can touch and play with NOT a dummy plastic mould.
That's a HUGE thing in the marketing of these devices in my opinion.

B.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Sage
Ponderer

Comparing it against the larger, 80GB iPod - coincidence or conspiracy?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

I'm not sure what is up with Jake, but the 80GB iPod (5.5 ounces) does weight less than the 30GB Zune (5.6 ounces).

Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fee View Post
I'm not sure what is up with Jake, but the 80GB iPod (5.5 ounces) does weight less than the 30GB Zune (5.6 ounces).
Yeah, that hit me after. I guess Jake was working out one of his arms before comparing the two.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:

Well, picking them up in your hands, you're not going to be able to tell a .1 ounce difference. The iPod is percieved as being heavier, likely due to the fact that it's smaller, but essentially the same weight as the Zune. Put one pound of feathers in one hand, and one pound of lead in another, and you'll feel that he lead is heavier.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

The height / width difference doesn't bother me as much (especially with the larger screen.) However it just looks SO much thicker in that vertical photo.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroma View Post
The height / width difference doesn't bother me as much (especially with the larger screen.) However it just looks SO much thicker in that vertical photo.
Yeah, the thickness might turn some people off. Me, I'm not bothered by it (on paper at least) because I'm ok with the thickness of my Zen Vision and the Zune is considerably thinner than it. We'll see how the Zune feels in my hands though, that's really the true test of a device.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Well, picking them up in your hands, you're not going to be able to tell a .1 ounce difference.
True, but Jake said:
Quote:
The Zune weighs considerably less than the iPod

That is very different than saying you can't tell the difference between the two. About the same would have been more in line with what logic would tell you.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
True, but Jake said...
James, what's the alternative other than a perceptual difference he felt as he held both in his hands? That Jake Ludington is purposefully lying to us all, and he's hoping we won't look up the actual weight online? Come on, that's just stupid. I don't understand what your purpose on this thread is - to "expose" Jake somehow?