¹ Watch the Zune Ads - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Watch the Zune Ads

For those of you in the US who tend not to switch on the tele, or for those of you outside the US who are unfortunate enough to miss out on all this Zune action, here's your chance to watch the ads. They may seem a little odd at first, but if you consider who the target audience is, they make sense (though, I admit the whole limb gnawing in The Ballad of Lion and Gazelle is a little strange). Best of all, it's a welcome break from all those silhouette ads that we're used to.

More after the break.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Meh... a little too South Park for me.

Besides, I guess I don't get the whole sharing thing. Now what would really be social would be taking off your damn headphones and having some real human interaction with the person next to you - like a conversation maybe (or at least acknowledging their presence) - instead of beaming them a song while otherwise ignoring them in your own little techno-bubble. I love my DAP, but I realize it's just another tech toy that helps isolate us from each other. Now if you want to be social by sharing music instead of (or in addition to) talking, seems like you could just get a boombox or a portable speaker set for your DAP or - gasp- a $5 headphone splitter from RadioShack (if you really must both listen to music via headphones). All of these solutions wouldn't rely on your fellow human possessing the same DAP as you.

/RANT OFF!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

My opinion: these are terrible ads. They either are just way off the wall (e.g., the first one) or take way too long in introducing the unit, or are so utterly generic that they're not going to capture attention. The third ad is the only one I'd consider "okay" amongst the bunch. You want to target the fast channel-surfing twenty-year-old demographic. The iPod ads are iconic and distinctive, and even after watching them countless times I still immediately notice them. These... meh, I don't want to see any of them ever again.

I'm no ad professional so take all of that with a grain of salt, but I'm speaking as a still-technically-20-year-old-something, at least.

--janak

Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Sage
Ponderer

Advertising is such a weird beast. There are some companies that always produce very "cool" adverts (Sony, Guinness, Apple) and there are some companies just can't seem to get it right no matter how much money they spend. Sadly, Microsoft falls into the latter category. Even the Xbox 360 ads (in the UK, at least) are really cliched and pedestrian.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I've just finished watching them all, and I quite like them and believe they'll resonate well with the target demographic.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Advertising is such a weird beast. There are some companies that always produce very "cool" adverts (Sony, Guinness, Apple) and there are some companies just can't seem to get it right no matter how much money they spend. Sadly, Microsoft falls into the latter category. Even the Xbox 360 ads (in the UK, at least) are really cliched and pedestrian.
Dunno about the UK ones, but the Xbox ads here have been pretty decent, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I've just finished watching them all, and I quite like them and believe they'll resonate well with the target demographic.
Hah! So we directly disagree on this one. It's time for "sit back and wait and see what happens"...

--janak

Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I have to agree with some of the other comments. I found every ad after the first one completely boring. Matter I didn't even finish the last two.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 AM
lt.milo
Neophyte
Default They arent horrible

I don't think that the ads are terrible, they really show the community aspect of the zune. I do wish, however, that they showed more of the zunes features and why it is a better choice than an ipod.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.milo View Post
I do wish, however, that they showed more of the zunes features and why it is a better choice than an ipod.
Most "geeks" buy based on features (hard drive size, screen resolution, etc.) while most normal people buy based on benefits. Microsoft knows that, from a hardware point of view, the Zune isn't anything very special (other than the WiFi). I think the commercials are meant to drill in the idea that the Zune is a social music device, perhaps the first of it's kind, and they want people to learn more about the device. A commercial saying "Look, it's got a 30 GB hard drive, a 3 inch screen..." wouldn't serve much purpose.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Most "geeks" buy based on features (hard drive size, screen resolution, etc.) while most normal people buy based on benefits. Microsoft knows that, from a hardware point of view, the Zune isn't anything very special (other than the WiFi). I think the commercials are meant to drill in the idea that the Zune is a social music device, perhaps the first of it's kind, and they want people to learn more about the device. A commercial saying "Look, it's got a 30 GB hard drive, a 3 inch screen..." wouldn't serve much purpose.
By the same token, many of the ads deemphasize the player. When I see teens frolicking around, I'm thinking of a jeans ad, not of a music player. One thing Apple does right is that, with their ads, the players are front and center. "Welcome to the Social", at least to me, doesn't brand a music player, and for the public that doesn't know about Zune music sharing, it must be even more confusing.

--janak