Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Mobile Operators

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
niceguymr
Pupil
Default PROBLEM SOLVED - MPX220 cant access internet - Does anyone k

see bottom for solution...

(I'm sorry for the duplicate post in the other forum. I didn't know there was a forum for ATT and Cingular.)

I had an MPX200 with AT&T and had no problems getting on MMode, the internet, etc...

I just bought an unlocked MPX220 (Cingular Branded) and popped my AT&T SIM card in. Everything on the phone works GREAT (minus the camera of course) EXCEPT I cannot access the internet, send MMS messages, etc.

I called AT&T tech support thinking they could give me some help with this phone. There turns out to be a few inconsistencies with the menus for DATA CONNECTION between my previous MPX200 and this new MPX220. Some of the menu options have different/fewer choices than what the tech support people had on their end (It was AT&T tech support, not Cingular) Perhaps it has something to do with it being made for Cingular.

ETA: I just figured out that when my phone is connected to my computer via USB, I can connect to the internet. This means that it's accessing the internet through my desktop.

Anyway.... Does anyone out ther have an unlocked, Cingular Branded MPX220 that they are using an AT&T SIM card, and having NO problems getting on the internet or using MMode? Thank you in advance for all your help.

OK Folks, thanks for all your help! :roll:

This may have seemed like an obvious solution to many or most of you, however, for me it was not. I'm not a techy by any means, and this is about as far as it goes. So here's how I solved it:

The reason there were different menu choices in the connection settings was because AT&T sold the older MPX200s with their connection settings for their network. Cingular uses different connection settings. Thank goodness I still have my old MPX200, so I was able to turn it on and retrieve all of the following information from it. What I had to do with my NEW phone, the MPX220 (which I figured out on my own thank you very much) was to go in and EDIT my existing connections and create (ADD) new Proxy and GPRS Connections. The ones that came on the new phone were set for Cingular's service. I left all those their, and simply added new ones.

For Proxy connections, I created one called "mMode".
Connects from:
-The Internet
Connects to:
-WAP Network
Proxy (nameort):
-10.250.250.54:8080
Type:
-HTTP

Username and Password are blank

For GPRS connections, I created one called "AWS GPRS"
Connects to:
-The Internet
Access point:
-BLANK
Username:
-BLANK
Password:
-BLANK
Primary DNS:
-0.0.0.0 (simply type a single zero in this space - it wont let you put decimals, but it will put them for you)
Secondary DNS:
-0.0.0.0 (same as above)
IP Address
blank

Now, for DATA CONNECTIONS, The choices should be as follows:
INTERNET CONNECTION
-AWS GPRS
WORK CONNECTION
-(none available) or Automatic
WAP CONNECTION
-Automatic
SECURE WAP CONNECTION
-none available or Automatic

One last thing to change...

Launch INTERNET EXPLORER
Select MENU
Select OPTIONS
Select CONNECTIONS
Make sure the "Automatically detect settings." box is UNCHECKED
and
Select Network shoud be "WAP Network"

That's it! All fixed! I'm so glad I didn't have to switch my service over to Cingular (just yet anyway).