Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Server Attack Foiled

If you were wondering what happened to our server this morning, it was under attack. 870 different computers were pounding our server with a known phpBB exploit that we patched back in December. Unfortunately, the solution provided by the phpBB team didn't do anything to prevent the phpBB install in question from being overloaded with the requests. We've blocked the attacking computer in question and modified phpBB to essentially ignore such requests. Thanks to Jorj and Fabrizio for rescuing our server from the abyss. :-)You know, this makes me wonder at what point the issue of personal liability comes into question - if my computer is attacking your computer, even if I don't know it, shouldn't I be liable for that in some way? If my dog attacks someone, I'm held responsible. If a piece of my roof falls off and kills someone, I'm responsible. I wonder if we'll start to see some legal action against users, or against software companies, related to issues like this?