Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus
Default Motorola, Best Buy, Cingular - Please Get Your Act Together

A month ago when the MPx220 was launched we rushed to the stores because we believed in the product and the companies behind it. We could have returned the product the next day or the day after, but most of us didn't. Because we knew that the product had potential and was having some teething troubles. We were willing to take the risk of waiting for a fix to be issued for the problems, because we believed it can be done. When we found out that Best Buy has recalled the product and is re-stocking its stores. We were happy and went through all the hoops, because we knew that the MPx220 is the best option when it comes to Smartphones. Because we believed in the product and the companies behind it.

I am sure by now many of you who had rushed out to the Best Buy stores to buy the Smartphone under the exclusive program have paid a visit or two or more, and have got their device exchanged. And I am sure like me you are wondering if it was worth all the trouble and hassle that we went through at the store's customer service counter or when we were bumped off from Best Buy's 1-800 support number to Cingular's and then on to Motorola's. And finally to be told by the Motorola folks that only Best Buy can help you or that you need to send the phone in for repairs and it will take up to two weeks. :? Every Smartphone Thoughts reader who bought the phone and got it exchanged has a story to tell. Some of them were lucky but most were not. Motorola's second generation Smartphone is creating second generation nightmares for many of its customers. :evil:

I on behalf of the Smartphone community would like to request Motorola, Cingular and Best Buy to get their act together. And ensure that a solution is found and delivered to all the problems plaguing this otherwise fine product. Before I mention the bugs I would like to thank Motorola for fixing the microphone in the version .342 of the firmware. At least they nailed one bug in this update.

Following are the issues that are still open:

� Ear piece and speaker volume is still not high enough. It is low compared to the MPx200. I would like it if I had to reduce the volume on the handset by a notch to answer most of the calls. But right now I have to keep it at the maximum level for all calls and still cannot hear clearly.
� Camera needs to be improved. The picture in automatic mode are too noisy/grainy.
� Camera takes fuzzy pictures when Bluetooth is on. Or maybe when there are too many applications or background processes.
� Bluetooth module crashes when using multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously. When using Bluetooth headset and maybe another Bluetooth session like ActiveSync, the Bluetooth module crashes. The Bluetooth icon stays visible in the icon bar. But the microphone on the headset or even on the handset won't function. Reboot fixes this problem.
� Bluetooth serial profile is missing and the problem using Bluetooth GPS devices with certain navigation applications.
� There are some odd hangs and shutdown issues that users are experiencing.
� Last but not the least would like to know, if version .342 is also a beta firmware just like .325 or not?

Another thing that bugs me or annoys me is, why have these companies been so quiet? :evil: How come no one has stepped forward with an official statement? I haven't gotten any response to the recent E-Mails that I sent to the Motorola support. Its been over three days now.

The next time a fix is issued I would like to see an official statement. Something that tells us where to go and what to expect. Is that too much to ask for? I must warn Motorola, Cingular and Best Buy that if they botch up the next update, then they will not only loose the existing loyal customers but also the future ones.

Finally I would like to request our readers to stay calm. When the next fix is released, please do not run to the stores and rush out with a replacement. I am not sure how we can verify the fix, in fact this is where an official statement can bring some credibility, but the very least we can do is open the box with the replacement phone at the stores and verify the fixes.