Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop & Netbook Hardware > Other Laptops & Netbooks

Old 02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix View Post
Well, then again, there are the early benchmarks.
Yes, the Sandy Bridge Intel CPUs are *killer* from a performance perspective. The absolutely shred - and certainly anyone that was using a Macbook Pro 13 previous with a Core 2 Duo CPU, the new Macbook Pro 13 would *slay* it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix View Post
I'm disappointed that Apple won't allow a quad core CPU in its 13 MBP. Is there an issue with motherboard or other component size that anyone is aware of?
No, it's not an issue of size. The primary reason, I'd guess, it's Apple's product segmentation. Apple has arbitrary product segments that have nothing to do with technology and everything to do with them deciding which products certain people "should" buy. They want people to see a 17 inch Macbook Pro and know that the person who bought it is more "serious" than the person who bought the Macbook Pro 13. That person spent more money, and got more computer.

It's one of the things I find utterly disdainful about Apple.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Phronetix
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Apple has arbitrary product segments that have nothing to do with technology and everything to do with them deciding which products certain people "should" buy. They want people to see a 17 inch Macbook Pro and know that the person who bought it is more "serious" than the person who bought the Macbook Pro 13. That person spent more money, and got more computer.

It's one of the things I find utterly disdainful about Apple.

Well, it's a highly restricted product offering. There is no question. It appears you're suggesting that Apple's main objective is to create a sort of caste system based on dollars spent on their products? I think the users create that, not the company, and past discussion have easily shown you do not wish to be within the same consumer group that includes people who have somehow connected their personal value to the type of product they own. But charging Apple with that mandate... I think it misses the mark. I see the Apple fanboyz as being somewhat like a negative consequence of their excellence at what they do, a part of the human condition. I find it interesting that many people hold Apple responsible for the behavior of the masses. I cannot personally make that leap.

As for Apple, I believe a more likely explanation here is: a marketing team that values a simplified product offering is forced to eliminate certain choices to keep within their desired parameters of this simplification. And I don't like that they continually eliminate the processor choice in their smaller MBP. I feel like they ought to keep the Pro line more consistent across the level, and save the processor-centric segmentation in their consumer lines perhaps.

Your frustration is well shared, Jason. It's been a part of Apple's strategy for a long time, and well loathed. Perhaps what you dislike about the Apple crowd is the level of acceptance they have for this strategy? That would be a very fair criticism in my opinion. Perhaps we all continue to let Apple know instead? [email protected]

D

Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
karen
Thinker

The deal killer for me is that the 13" MBP has a lesser max resolution than the Mac Book Air.
I know, Jason, that you have a different take on screen resolution, but with my work (architecture and design), pixels are gold. So I want seriously max resolution on a great screen.

I was assuming that 13" Pro would at least meet the same max resolution that the Air had and I was hoping that there would be an option to exceed it. I love the form factor of the Air, but the 4GB max is a problem for me, too.

Because I travel so much, portability is key for me. I recognize that wanting a light laptop and high resolution is a sort of conflict, but if anyone was going to pull it off I thought for sure it would have been Apple.

When I look at Apple displays next to other laptop displays, Apple ones shine (pun intended). So now I'm back to trying to decide if I want a MBA or a MBP. Or save $1500 and go with a lesser screen.

Processors and graphics performance are important, too, but less so than other factors for me.