Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop & Netbook Hardware > Other Laptops & Netbooks

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Anyone Else Underwhelmed by the New Macbook Pro Line?

Apple announced a new line of Macbook Pro hardware today (buy 'em from our Amazon.com store), and I have to admit I was underwhelmed. Yes, they have Intel's rocking new Sandy Bridge CPUs that offer insanely great performance. Yes, they've switched from NVIDIA to AMD (ATI) graphics that offer up to 3x graphics performance. And, yes, there's the impressive Thunderbolt connectivity and an HD camera.

What was I hoping for? A product line that was shaped by the technologies and design that Apple came up with for the Macbook Air. There were so many things I liked about the Air when I reviewed it, but the CPU just didn't quite measure up. I returned it for a refund and was essentially waiting for this line of Macbook Pros to be released - I was hoping that the design cues I saw in the Air would trickle up to the Macbook Pro line.

What was I hoping for? Something thinner, lighter. Something with the same SSD technology in the Air. Something that had the 70:30 battery to motherboard ratio that the Air has. Something that felt like the future of notebooks, not like more of the same. Now I'm not knocking the design of the Macbook Pro laptops - there's a lot to like about them - but I was hoping for more of a revolution and less of an evolution.

Anyone else hoping for more? I should have known given that there was no live Apple event - they always do events for truly new products - but hope springs eternal...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Jeff Campbell
Executive Editor, Apple Thoughts

I was a little "meh" at the whole thing, as I was hoping for some scaled down versions ala MacBook Air. If not that, then perhaps more focus on the SSD. They did add some nice features (camera, Thunderbolt)... and it looks like Apple was also underwhelmed since they didn't have an event to announce it all. It was a nice refresh, how about that? :-)

Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 AM
rockinthesixstring
Pupil

As a 13" MB Pro user, I can't be underwhelmed with the upgrade. In fact, I'll be upgrading at the first opportunity.

The jump from the Core 2 Duo to the i5/i7 is a huge improvement
Thunderbolt is going to be amazing
HD camera is Meh simply because I don't use my iSight.

Everything else in the box is the same as the old one, which is already hands down the best notebook on the market. So adding the additional goods at the same price as the old one is far from underwhelming.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
cjhpe
Pupil

Jason,
I would agree with both you and Jeff and would call this a pretty good refresh but nothing revolutionary. I also see why no event was planned and it was just kind of rolled out...

With that being said it may still be my first apple PC...

Thanks J...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 AM
gmontielh
Ponderer
Default Will wait for next model

Same screen resolution is a deal breaker. Expected same resolution as latest MBA at the very least on the 13". Faster processor, better (really needed?) camera and graphics handling not much incentive. I am well satisfied with previous model. Also look forward for flash memory to go down short term as it becomes more available. Thus I will wait for next MBP model.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Phronetix
Thinker

Whoa. Jason Dunn covers another Apple product release. Somewhere, at some foundation charity event, Bill Gates's heart skipped a beat. ;-)

I expected this sort of refresh, mostly because I couldn't see how Apple would release a brand new design that included a 13 inch notebook that was everything the MacBook Air wasn't.

I don't envision that the MacBook Pro line will be evolving into the MacBook Air line... that would cut into the power and features. Seems more likely that as technology shrinks, changes and becomes less costly, the Air line can evolve into the Pro line, as power and cost differences between the two lines begin to disappear. There is no doubt that Apple wants this direction to be their way... just not yet.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Dyvim
Sage

With no event scheduled, I suspected it would just be a typical refresh.
I'm waiting for the MBA to get a Sandy Bridge processor and Thunderbolt. Same for Mac mini. (Also waiting to see what kind of peripherals with Thunderbolt support appear on the market and how much they will cost.)

Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

If they made the new MacBooks look more like MacBook Airs, then they wouldn't need MacBook Airs, now would they?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Phronetix
Thinker

Well, then again, there are the early benchmarks.

If these are reproducible, they represent one of the greatest jumps I can recall. Given that, I'm more impressed. I'm disappointed that Apple won't allow a quad core CPU in its 13 MBP. Is there an issue with motherboard or other component size that anyone is aware of?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Woah, I actually agree with Jason Dunn on something What I posted at the-gadgeteer.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me at the-gadgeteer
What a letdown.

Thunderbolt is interesting, and a faster CPU is always nice, but without a resolution bump up, SSD for OS/apps (32GB would suffice if there was also a HDD for data), instant resume, and lower weight, I�ll pass. Would rather get a MBA, despite its lowly Core2Duo.