Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-11-2004, 10:13 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

Like we should care... A 400Mhz ARM processor does not cut it for such a resolution. It would be slow. Now this is what we should care:

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/Product/U/

Sony's latest VIAO

Intel Pentium M 1Ghz/512k L2-Cache
Intel 855 chipset
400Mhz FSB
512Mb
266Mhz memory bus (DDR?)
20Gb HDD
5" SVGA display
PCMCIA Type II slot, CF slot, MS slot
WiFi 802.11b/g (yawn!)
USB 2.0 x4, Firewire
VGA out, LAN
Windows XP Pro
2.5 hour battery (standard), 5.5 hour (extended)
550gram (and I thought my friend's U101 was light!)

Based on the pix, they are using the same remote controller that comes with their popular Minidisc players (outside US) and by the looks of it - its small! For those who care, the fontopia featured is the EX51SL (I own a fantastic white EX71SL and the noise cancelling really does work). I am ready to dump all my PDAs in favour of this. I do hope they will integrate Bluetooth and a Philips Digital TV tuner into future models though.

Dynamism is taking pre-order now with pricing from $2299.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Deralict
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Deralict

Go ahead and drop all your PDAs, but most others won't. We'd be giving up many key advantages like instant-on, durability (no hard disk) and price. What many people don't realize is that CE.NET devices and many PPC devices just don't compare to Windows XP devices and aren't designed to. CE.NET handheld devices are designed specifically with what may seem like underwhelming specs--these devices aren't meant for the average consumer who wants the latest and greatest cool multimedia device that runs all their desktop software, they are intented for business users and vertical markets. Here, features like instant-on rule the day.

And BTW, a 400MHz ARM CPU is just fine for 800x480 resolution. I have an 800x600 device running at 400MHz and there is no problem with the display. Not that you'd want to view movies on it...but again, it's not a toy, it's a business tool.

And come on...US$2300 for what is effectively an underpowered notebook? As a business user, that needs to run specialized software in the field, I'll take an $800 Smartpad, or any of the new 640x480 PPCs that will be released this summer in a new york minute.