Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Zupera Smartpad Mini PC

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C2806/

"Zupera Technology from Hong Kong has designed the Smartpad, a wireless mini computer running on Windows CE .NET with an Intel PXA255 400MHz processor. The Smartpad has a nice chunk of memory, 64MB and 128MB SDRam with additional SD/MMC expansion capabilities. The 7-inch TFT LCD can display 16 bits at 800x600 resolution. The entire device measures 215mm x 125mm x 28mm which makes it mostly all screen and a bit of room for side buttons and what not. The player also has integrated 10/100 ethernet and GPRS/CDMA 1X modules with support for 802.11b wireless, this should be integrated as well, and where is the Bluetooth?"

There seems to be no shortage of companies who are cranking out Windows CE .NET-based devices, but their strategy seems quite random to me. Cool hardware does not a platform make - it requires intentionality and the wooing of developers. What do you think about this new device?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I like devices like this and think they could really be useful for mobile professionals. Now that WM is based upon the .net framework, and WM2003SE support dynamic screen resoultions and rotation, maybe it will be possible to run PPC apps on this kind of device. If so.... :drool:

Otherwise, what good will all that memory do? You won't have any apps to fill the space anyway.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

They're nice remoting devices. Devices like this makes surfing the internet comfortable anywhere. i wonder if this unit has transflective screen?

anyhow I quite agree on the strategy, these devices won't really appeal to the mass market. people are largely geared towards having a full blown pc/laptop or some computing device that is small like phone or pda. something like this falls in the half and half category like the traditional Tablet (not convertable) PCs. they don't really capture the mass market's interest into buying them.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
I like devices like this and think they could really be useful for mobile professionals. Now that WM is based upon the .net framework, and WM2003SE support dynamic screen resoultions and rotation, maybe it will be possible to run PPC apps on this kind of device. If so.... :drool:

Otherwise, what good will all that memory do? You won't have any apps to fill the space anyway.
ppc apps should still be capable of running on them (.net anyways) but the app windows themselves may be limited to their original respective resolutions (unless they coded them to be drawn dynamically). I hold great hopes that windows ce .net will be a successful mobile os solution.

Even if ce.net never catches on and win xp or win xp mobile becomes the successor, it's not really that difficult to migrate .net code over to those platforms. =)

Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 PM
freitasm
Oracle

I have my doubts... This might be another "vapourware" device. I've contacted Zupera three months ago about this device when I found about it. They then returned me an e-mail saying that it wasn't available yet, and instead offered me one of their other products, a 2mp digital camera... :roll:

Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Deslock
Thinker

That'll be a sweet device, but FYI it's 800x480, not 800x600.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:06 AM
fireflyrsmr
Ponderer

length is not such a big problem but it's too wide. I could not hold it with one hand comfortably at 5 inches. I think somewhere between 3.5 and 4 inches is about it. I think we are all used to scrolling up and down but sideways is ugly. so that means a longer thin machine would be fine.

I suppose a different solution would be some kind of handle on the side with fingers spanning the back for support. that might allow for a wider device. Once it can't go in a pants pocket a large part of the market is lost but there is a niche out there that is ok with that and is totally willing to give up the pants pocket thing for a bigger screen.

It would also have to play the current software. to throw away that investment would hurt :frusty: the gains would have to be huge and a bigger screen isn't THAT huge.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:28 AM
wxrman
Pupil
Default how much?

I could use this for wireless internet if it would connect with my i600

Would be great for getting radar/etc. when storm-chasing but transflective screen would be a must and at that res... I'm afraid it's not... sounds too custom.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
I have my doubts... This might be another "vapourware" device. I've contacted Zupera three months ago about this device when I found about it. They then returned me an e-mail saying that it wasn't available yet, and instead offered me one of their other products, a 2mp digital camera... :roll:
got an e-mail from them today. This model will not be in production until June 2004. It'll cost US$ 668 for 200 units.

Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Bill Gunn
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
Not only vaporware; vaporware that won't run any existing software.