Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Enderet
Thinker

The credits read....

"The the characters and events depicted in this photoplay are ficticious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidential".

Old 03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
David Prahl
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderet
The credits read....

"The the characters and events depicted in this photoplay are ficticious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidential".

8O
I can't believe it!

Old 03-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Prahl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderet
The credits read....

8O
I can't believe it!
It's a legal thing. If that disclaimer wasn't there, some guy who looks like the guy who played Judas in that movie would sue the producers for slander and defamation of character. :roll:

Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 AM
David Prahl
Pontificator

I understand (from a legal perspective). But to word it that way almost dismisses the entire Passion as a myth - a folktale.

Stick in a few nouns and it reads:
"The the character of Jesus Christ and his death depicted in this photoplay are ficticious."

Some people would call that blasphemous.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:21 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I suggest we stop discussing whether or not the events happened or not, and just stick to the movie itself. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
karinatwork
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteFlower
One does not need to SEE or EXPERIENCE graphic violence in order to know it.
That's what I was trying to say earlier. I feel like I know the history, I've grown up with it, I have my own imagination to depict exactly what happened. I do NOT want to see it in every detail.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinatwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteFlower
One does not need to SEE or EXPERIENCE graphic violence in order to know it.
That's what I was trying to say earlier. I feel like I know the history, I've grown up with it, I have my own imagination to depict exactly what happened. I do NOT want to see it in every detail.
I think that's a valid point of view for a decision that everyone has to make for themselves.

I believe the film is an attempt to portray accurately just how much suffering was endured which is an important fact of Christianity, especially considering that it could have ended at a single word from Christ.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:35 AM
sublime
Thinker

I'm a little late, but I just saw the movie today.

The movie itself was well done, but slipped up artistically at the end. I really loved the use of flashbacks in the movie. That one when Mary sees Christ fall made me cry because it was so perfectly beautiful. Where it slips up is near the end where the flashbacks begin to lose relevance to the situation at hand. Near the beginning of the movie, Christ or someone else would see something specific, then a memory would be triggered. This was not true of the Last Supper memories, and because of its lack of a trigger they felt a little incongruous. As for the actual triggered memories, they were flawless.

The last scene wasn't what I expected. It was aggressively suggestive, rather than subtly and effectively intimated as the rest of the movie. We see Christ stand up with a serious face and then storm off screen with a hole in his hand. Gibson was really trying to drive his point home then, and I think it lost its taste for that. If Gibson would have cut that tiny part out, but left the sinking in of the wrap, and perhaps had the people (I forget who comes into the grave) say that "he's gone," then fade to black, it would have been perfectly subtle, and I would have praised it greatly.

That scene of Satan screaming when Christ dies is too much. Blah, just tasteless. It was perfect when Christ steps on the serpent's head, because it is a direct allusion to Adam and Eve's expulsion from Eden. But that Wizard of Oz-ish "I'm melting! I'm melting!" bit should have been cut out.

Overall: 7.7/10