Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-26-2004, 06:26 AM
karinatwork
Philosopher
Default Did anybody see that new Mel Gibson movie yet?

It's called "The Passion of the Christ".
I saw a few pieces of the trailer and I had to look away.

Just wondering if someone saw it yet and if it's really that awful. I don't know if I will be able to go and see it if it's going to make me feel horrible.

I feel like I am sticking my head in the sand, being a good catholic and all, I know the story inside out and maybe I am supposed to go see it and be shocked and deeply moved one more time.

I don't know what to do. Ever since I saw those pictures I can't forget about it. I went through "Cabin Fever", "Wrong Turn" and "House of 1000 Corpses" no problem, but those were fiction. This really happened.

So, if anyone has seen it, I would like to know what you think.

Thanks!

K.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Nope havn't seen it yet, but I want too. But yeah I know what you mean. I can watch shows like ER and the like and not be grossed out. But I can't watch 'real' surgeries on the Discover channel. I get sick to my stomach (I could never be a doctor). I belive that the mind can tell if somthing is real or not and you are effected accordly.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:58 AM
karinatwork
Philosopher

It's not even so much the blood or the gore that makes me feel bad. For me it's more the cruelty, the injustice I can't stand. I remember how bad I felt after watching "The General's Daughter" or "Braveheart". I makes me so mad! Got me in trouble a couple of times when I tried to break up a lopsided bar fight. Then I'm always lucky I'm a girl and even the drunkest guy has a little respect for a lady! :wink:

Old 02-26-2004, 10:07 AM
famousdavis
Philosopher

I attend a conservative, non-denominational church. It was really extraordinarily ironic that this past Sunday, each attendee received inside his or her bulletin a full-color brochure promoting this movie. I say ironic because, 1) I don't remember my church ever recommending any movie to the congregation before, but more importantly than that, 2) the "Passion" is an R-rated movie!!! 8O

Old 02-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

I'll be seeing it with members of my church tomorrow night )in about 22 hours from now). Although I know the story well I am somewhat disturbed by the promotional material showing the incredible cruelty that the Lord suffered at His crucifiction.

I must say, that like many of the others that have posted to this thread, that I can't recall a church ever promoting a movie in this way. I read the other day in some newspaper that Mel Gibson's maketing of this movie will be studied in text books for his use of churches in the film's promotion.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
baker
Thinker

Our church is going next weekend. Everything I've read on it says it is about as close to the actual as best they could do and know.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

It sounds like a movie I want to see, and more importantly, would love to show (when it comes out on video / dvd) to my 8th grade religion class. Now, getting the directory to approve will be another issue. What really amazes me is the negative media bias toward the movie. If you put out a movie about any other religious group being persecuted (i.e. Schindler's List) it would be hailed as a triumph for that group. But if you make it about Christians, in the US, you'll get no praise. It really irks me that you can't make fun of any religion unless its christianity. Its more socially acceptable to label 99% harmless Christian Fundamentalists as wackos than extreame followers of Islam.

Ok, I'll get back on topic...

I'd be interested in seeing it unsubtitled as the directory originally wanted - it would allow the viewer to appreciate fully the action, not the (aramaic) dialogue. I guess I'll have to wait till DVD.

Jon.

Old 02-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Steven Cedrone

This off-topic thread is about a movie, I understand that. But I want to remind everyone that discussion about religion is no longer allowed in this forum. That being said, I won't lock this thread...

But let's not stray from the original question. "Have you seen the movie?"

Steve

Old 02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
dmy
Intellectual

Heh, I was worried a bit that this might degrade into a religeous debate, so I'm glad Steven stepped in to remind us.

I also have a comment to Jon, and in fact to anyone else who wants to take their kids to see this film as several church groups are planning on doing just that:

PARENTS: PLEASE see this film BEFORE taking your kids to it.
Group leaders/teachers/etc: PLEASE consult the parents of any kids in a group BEFORE taking the kids to see it.

I'll leave the discussion and decision to the readers to debate (who, how young is too young, etc.)..... but I want to say that this film contains imagery that may be too much for many people.... and it needs to be up to the parents to help in making an INFORMED decision where their kids are concerned in seeing this film. I'm not, nor will I generalize that anyone shouldn't see it.... but parents shouldn't assume that just because this is a film about a particular subject that it's appropriate for all ages. If you see the film, and then make the decision that your kids are capable of understanding, discussing, and dealing with the film and the way the story is presented, by all means do take them.

Hmmmm..... I may have stayed out of the religious discussion... but did I devolve into the political?

Cheers,
D.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I haven't seen it yet, but intend to. From what I've read from people who have seen it: yes it is gory, no they don't sugar coat the torture, and no, don't take the (little) kids to see it.

With that out of the way, most people who have seen it say that it is extremely uplifting and that you won't come out feeling "horrible." It may move you to tears at times, but so should the final scene.

Of course I don't want to spoil it for anyone by giving away the ending. :wink: