Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Problem is once you get into the "anything can be hacked" discussion (on which I agree with you, but nonetheless) you start realizing that you wouldn't transmit your e-mail at all unless it was unencrypted, let alone on a PPC with a Bluetooth connection which many of us do.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet real hard and just deal with the fact that as long as you are transmitting anything by any means, your data is not secure...

Old 01-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Phoenix
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzosi
Problem is once you get into the "anything can be hacked" discussion (on which I agree with you, but nonetheless) you start realizing that you wouldn't transmit your e-mail at all unless it was unencrypted, let alone on a PPC with a Bluetooth connection which many of us do.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet real hard and just deal with the fact that as long as you are transmitting anything by any means, your data is not secure...
I understand what you're saying, and maybe I should have shaped that comment differently... so I will say this: WiFi can be encrypted and Bluetooth is encrypted. BT is also close range which further reduces risk and it has pairing and authentication protocols in place - all of which increasingly reduce security risks. WiFi also has several other security filters that can be utilized which can prevent undesired interception and so on, and with WPA and soon 802.11i, the security is just becoming more and more robust which increasingly makes it difficult for anyone to hack into in the first place (even with skills and special equipment). Even if someone could "grab" the information, making use of any of the encrypted data may be more unlikely than not.

WiFi and even BT are a-whole-nother world - the user can take steps to keep things secure beyond encryption alone. But spot transmissions would rely solely on MS (and perhaps any security protocols which may or may not be in place on the FM band that spot transmits on and that I know very little about right now) to keep things secure, which is what we're not even sure of as of yet. If it is, then perhaps that would be enough - but I don't know for sure. (What band does SPOT transmit on, anyway?). But without any solid answers, I would never be interested in transmitting MSN or email messages to my watch over FM waves while I'm out and about.

Is there anyone from Microsoft that can shed some light on this?

Old 01-14-2004, 05:14 AM
Diane Dumas
Pupil

I met with Fossil while at CES and was given the Abacus model AU4000. After seening all the models that was my favorite. I was surprised to learn that it was the least expensive one of the bunch.

Mine is still working with no problems. If you disable the radio the battery life goes up tremendously. Being in Fairfield, Iowa, I doubt we will ever have local service here. However, I go on trips frequently and can use it a lot while I'm away.

Rumor Mill: There may be a device coming out that will set up a mini-FM radio transmitter module that will allow you to receive watch info while near this transmitter. I assue it would plug into the USB port and use your computer to receive transmissions. Since each watch has an ID number, I would image that only YOUR data would be sent to your FM transmitter via your computer.