Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Abacus Wrist Net Smart Watch for MSN Direct

http://www.pdantic.com/reviews/smartwatch.htm

"I heard about Microsoft's Smart Personal Object Technology (SPOT) devices when they were unveiled at the 2003 CES, and the technology intrigued me. Although as a certified gadget geek I have a number of wireless devices that can receive news, weather, and sports, I had always thought that the perfect device would replace my existing watch. There are just some situations where I personally find it in bad taste to pull out a PDA or Smartphone, while nobody takes offence at me glancing at my wrist. Why am I writing about a watch on a PDA website? Well, these watches are personal, they're digital and they definitely act as an intelligent assistant, so I think they can be accurately described as a form of PDA!"

If you're interested in the SPOT watches, check out this review - it's the first I've seen so far on these new breed of watches. Too bad I don't wear a watch any more. :lol:

Old 01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Birdman
Theorist

How does the Outlook Cal. info. get on the watch? Is the charging stand also some sort of sync conduit?

Old 01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

All the information travels to the watch over FM radio waves, including your Outlook info! You install an addin to Outlook, which pushing your info out onto some MSN server, which then sends it to the watch.

I wonder how long before someone hacks that data stream?

Old 01-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I have been captivated by these since they started talking about them. Once the prices move down I'll head to the store and buy one. I really like the idea of messenger to my watch...

I'm such a geek :-)

Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 PM
garrans
Ponderer

Couple of issues with these right now:

a) Battery life.... I'm ok with recharging it, but how about every week, that would save me from having to travel with 8O Another charger.

b) If you look at your watch in a meeting you seem to be bored and want the speaker to shut up :sleeping: but looking at a PDA is "looking for more information" or a Smartphone, is a "Oh, my phone just rang"

Steve.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:46 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default OOO!

Me wantee! I have always loved multifunction watches. Wearing one now I might add! I have a Casio Wavecepter Databank 150 watch and I love it. Never use the calculator, but I like the watch.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:33 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer
Default SPOT Watches

Look before you buy - SPOT / MSN Direct coverage may not be available in your area - wouldn't want to spend USD 299.00 on a Suunto N3 that will not connect to anything... Their website says coverage only in 100 top US markets...

Old 01-09-2004, 09:00 PM
PR.
Theorist

I like the idea but 2 reasons stop me from getting one:

1. I live in the UK so I will get a gold one of these when I retire in 2045 just as they are being released.

2. I find all of MSNs News coverage to be US based, I want the BBC on them not MSNBC.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

I like it! I've been waiting for these to come out for some time now. I just wish they looked better; I really only like the styling of the Suunto N3 (and that one would be PERFECT if it also had the other features of some of the Suunto watches, like compass, thermometer, barometer, altimeter, etc.)

Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 PM
claud9999
Pupil
Default maybe useful as a FOB

I too don't wear a watch...I used to wear a fob watch until the battery died (and I keep forgetting to get a new one.) A PDA-like device in a fob formfactor (hardened, of course, 'cause you'll be smacking it occasionally) would be keen.