Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 AM
qmrq
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldw57
Mozilla isn't technically designed for browsing purpose, it's mostly used for developers... I use Konquerer, since that's the only browser we got in KDE..
:rotfl: What is it designed for then?

Old 10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Jereboam
Philosopher

Quote:
Pretty good point. Justin, if you love IE, you should really check out Avant Browser. It's faster, clean, skinnable, tabbed, pop-up blocking, and Google searching, all in something incredibly easy to use. Even if you "don't care for features," there's practically no reason to not use Avant. It's just like IE but purely better - you lose nothing from IE, but gain plenty.
Another vote for Avant. It really is a very high quality front-end to IE, and free, and a comparatively small download. The features it adds are really steering me away from Phoenix (I am a long time user and fan) for ease of use (and of setup...Phoenix isn't newbie-friendly). When Phoenix is more mature I will probably go back...but for now Avant is the first thing to get installed/updated on any machine I use.

J'bm

Old 10-20-2003, 09:06 PM
qmrq
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereboam
Another vote for Avant. It really is a very high quality front-end to IE, and free, and a comparatively small download. The features it adds are really steering me away from Phoenix (I am a long time user and fan) for ease of use (and of setup...Phoenix isn't newbie-friendly). When Phoenix is more mature I will probably go back...but for now Avant is the first thing to get installed/updated on any machine I use.
There are unofficial installer packages that make it a bit easier to setup, but yes, for people who need hand-holding Phoenix isn't quite ready.

Old 10-20-2003, 09:56 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Just for kicks (and to try to free up some of the <100MB of free disk space I have) I uninstalled Avant and was unable to open hyperlinks in plain-text emails. Everything else about IE worked except that. IE would popup a new window (as opposed to opening the link in an existing window) but wouldn't load anything. Reinstall Avant and everything works but when I set url, htm, http, https and ftp to not open with Avant, IE won't open links in email anymore.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:31 PM
qmrq
Thinker

What mail client ?

Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
... IE won't open links in email anymore.
Try going to Programs tab of Internet Options. Click the Reset Web Settings button and make sure the "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" box is checked. If it's not, check it, click OK, and restart IE. This usually resolves problems like this.

--Dave

Old 10-20-2003, 10:54 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmrq
What mail client ?
Outlook 2002, but it appears Dave Beauvais' suggestion worked.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Jereboam
Philosopher

Quote:
There are unofficial installer packages that make it a bit easier to setup, but yes, for people who need hand-holding Phoenix isn't quite ready.
A plain install of Phoenix is not too difficult at all...but when you start trying to tweak it and add skins, widgets and so on, like the tab extensions and mouse gestures which are pretty much essential for me, it starts getting a little bit more tricky. After suffering from nightly build addiction for a while as well, I got bored with trashing my profile and setting it all up again, which sometimes was the only way to get it all running smoothly.

This ability/necessity to tinker at such a deep level is both what I love and hate about Phoenix, and what will keep it sidelined in the "browser wars".

J'bm

Old 10-21-2003, 02:16 AM
Jereboam
Philosopher

It should however be pointed out that for beta software, Phoenix is had has been extremely usable for a long time now, and a certain amount of tinkering should be expected.

J'bm