Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-08-2002, 03:40 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage
Default Re: It is art but is it useful to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoole
I also don't get that one button mouse... I really like the right click options of Windows. In fact, I am usually surprised if an object on a PC screen does not respond to a right click.
Arg! Not again. How many times must I say this?.....MacOS does have right-click menu support. Apple just gives you a one button mouse because it is "easier" to use..or so the thinking goes.
Foo, there's no point getting exasperated. We hear you and we understand. We just don't agree with you that it's a good thing. A one-button mouse is not easier, it's just more limiting. Apple should have moved to a two-button mouse out of the box years ago. That they didn't embrace this obviously superior concept, when they are so willing to make other radical changes, can only be explained by their not wanting to accept a Microsoft innovation. They built it into their operating system, but in stealth mode where you have to be an advanced user to even know about it, and you have to go buy extra hardware to make it happen.
Who is this proverbial "we" here? And apparently you are the only person who's smart enough to find the sole explanation for the non-inclusion a two button mouse? So what if Microsoft introduced a two button mouse? Apple was the first commercial/consumer vendor to include a mouse in their system back in 1984. Lastly, the right mouse feature is never a stealth mode where one has to be an advanced uder to know about. The only people who seems to not know about that feature is a PC user talking about a Mac.
"We" are all the non-Mac people reading this thread, who after 687 times reading you and Foo tell us that you can add a two-button mouse, don't need to be told again. And "we" certainly don't need you guys getting upset just because someone else comes along and says they don't like the one-button mouse and suggesting that saying you don't like a one-button mouse automatically means you don't know you can buy a two-button mouse for your Mac . Hey, I don't like the one-button mouse. It's stupid and you'd have to be an idiot not to see the advantage of having another button (or more). Get over it!

No need to tell me, now that I've one again expressed my dislike for the one-button mouse, how you can have a two-button mouse on a Mac. I know that and I still think the one-button mouse is stupid. Are we clear yet? (And yet, I can somehow imagine you right now thinking, "that guy still doesn't understand that you can add a two-button mouse to a Mac".)

Old 08-08-2002, 03:49 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage
Default Re: It is art but is it useful to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinux
No one is saying there isn't great PC cases out there.
Actually, that's exactly what they were saying. Go read it again.

Quote:
I have done some modding myself and can include tons of pictures and links, but what's the point? The point is that if you want a good looking PC, you do not have that many choices but to roll your own. Apple, however, consistently comes out with award-winning (albeit more costly) designs.
I'd say the real point is that you don't have to go to Apple to get a great looking computer. And I have a heck of a lot more choices of great looking styles with a PC than I do with Apple. ("Would you like berry red or pretty purple, sir?") Granted, most people don't choose them, but they're there if you want them.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Sorry, I just saw the suggestion that we close these out. Probably a good idea so I'll stop too.

Old 08-10-2002, 06:05 AM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

The difference between a Mac and a PC is like the difference between a rental car (that you must pay more for in the long run) and your own choice of a car.

I don't care what you guys think "TCO" means, but I know that the problems people have on their computers are generally the same as they would have on a Mac, OR they wouldn't have it on the Mac because the software isn't available. But I'll just continue my analogy...

A rental car is nice smelling and has leather seats and is all clean. It just so happens that there are no really cheap rental cars, just ones that are more expensive. You generally don't have to worry about the engine too much because before you got it the person who rented it to you made sure it would work. All of this is easy, because you just pay people to make the decisions like that.

In a car you own yourself, you'll be paying less, in my analogy. You can pick an old, used car (like a win98 machine and a... say... AMD K-6 processor) or a fast, new car like a Viper (dual Athlon MP with 1 GB RAM and dual 160 GB HDs, etc.). You have to decide to clean the car yourself, but at least you have the chance to make it dirty! (some rental cars won't let you eat in the car, just like how you can't install as much software on a Mac) You can still pay to get a clean car, though (like WinXP, as it is stable and will support pretty much all Win95+ software). And, for guys like me, you can work on your car to soup it up or even do the regular maintanence yourself instead of being forced to pay someone else to do it (you can't get much third-party hardware stuff, besides the stuff you see in the back of your ClubMac catalog..., and even that you won't get support from Apple).

If you are a rich actor like Mike Myers or are in an already expensive production studio, going for the rental is no biggie. But you're not going to get more performance than a hardcore PC enthusiast like myself. I have personally never really gotten a virus on my PC and I don't use AntiVirus software. My friend has once written a sort of virus for the Mac that will freeze any Macs that visit his website or something like that...

I love computer hardware maybe even more than the actual use of it (and I especially don't care how it looks on the outside), so that would mean that my opinion is much different than a normal computer user. I am currently putting together my own dual Athlon machine. I will be using Athlon XP 1800+ cpus and unlocking them and overclocking them until they are at least Athlon MP 2000+ cpus that cost over twice as much. I'll be putting it all together myself and I have already made some heatsink and fan adjustments to get optimal cooling for the lowest price. I will be paying very little on this project, though. I do this sort of thing for a job, so I am pretty good at it. (no, I do NOT sell overclocked systems to customers and not tell them... I have never sold any overclocked system.) I enjoy it. I have a choice between many vendors. I have two 64-bit 66 MHz PCI slots (I don't use them, but at my company I build our own NAS product and I use those fast slots for like hardware RAID controllers and Gigabit ethernet and stuff...).

I don't hate Apple, at least not anymore. I used to before I got a Pocket PC and really started hating Palm foremost, so I actually have softened toward Apple a lot.