Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-06-2002, 10:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why I love Apple

Ok, I don't really, but to offset my last post I thought I'd share what I do in fact like about Apple and the Mac (because I do admire them for a few things that the PC industry has been unable to accomplish thus far):

� They understand that people like attractive computer hardware, and they spend serious effort creating hardware that looks good, feels good, and tastes good (I'm sure at least one iMac owner has "licked the lamp" so to speak)
� They had the guts to switch over to a new core for the OS (UNIX) and drag the rest of their user base with them (whether they liked it or not).
� They understand the importance of digital media and try to create hardware and software to take advantage of that.

There are quite a few things that I don't like about Apple, but I'll keep that in the other thread. I sincerely believe that the PC industry has a few lessons to learn from Apple, but no one wants to go to school. In a slump like this, perhaps they should? What do YOU admire about Apple? Come on, there has to be at least one thing...

Old 08-06-2002, 10:56 PM
mookie123
Thinker

True,

makes me wonder why Apple doens't have a PDA yet?
think about it, a minicamcorder with PDA capability? wouldn't it just the perfect apple multimedia product? record movie, sound and picture edit them too before assembled together in desktop.

I sitll think Apple has something big for PDA world but they are not telling yet. (that and the fact iPOD is a PDA in disguise)

Old 08-06-2002, 10:57 PM
grogma
Pupil

What I like the most about the Mac ... check that... what I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about the Mac is that when people have problems with them I can look them in the eye and tell them with absolute honesty that I can not help them. If anyone I know (or who knows my phone number) asks me what kind of computer to buy I always recommend a Mac for that reason. Don't own one, never have, can't help you, so sorry.

Old 08-06-2002, 10:57 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I just want an Ipod that's all. I mean I know you guys already mentioned it week(s) ago, but to me that's what I love about Apple, is the cool hardware and software that make it un-PC, the aqua interface on OS X is more like a lifelike structure or animal than a OS it's so fluid. I am soooo sick of looking at my biege box PC I am almost tempted to try and find a G4 case and cram PC parts in it!

Old 08-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I want an original blue iMac so I can strip out the junk inside, seal it up and put water and fish inside it.

Oh - and a working 20Gb iPod. :wink: Those ARE nice.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogma
...when people have problems with them I can look them in the eye and tell them with absolute honesty that I can not help them
Hahahahaa!! :lol: I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's quite refreshing to say "I have no ability to help you - sorry." I can't do that with PCs...but I also, for the most part, enjoy helping people with computer issues.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:04 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Why do I like Apple? Because they are the only exciting (and innovative) company left in the tech industry. Ever get excited when Dell or Gateway introduce a new Desktop or laptop? Me neither. Sure, we have the occasional Windows release, but even that isn't as exciting as it used to be. XP is very nice, but it's hardly ground breaking.

Apple blazes trails that others simply follow. Example: iPhoto. Want to make a Photo book? Just upload the photos from your digital camera to your Mac and away you go. Beautiful full color, professional print quality photo books.

Want to make a photo book on your PC? You can't! No one makes software that integrates this feature or service. All those Gigahertz and I still can't make a photo book? :roll:

Old 08-06-2002, 11:10 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I also, for the most part, enjoy helping people with computer issues.
Please give me your phone number so I can foward the calls! :lol: :lol:

Old 08-06-2002, 11:13 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Mac

I never would have thought mac was worth anything, until recently. Macs just weren't usefull or worthwhile until OS X came out. Then I had to say they had a very good alternative to windows machines. The thing is it really isn't better than windows, probably on par now. Since i am so familiar with windows and all the software i own is windows software i have little reason to switch. But they are definately getting closer and closer to making me want to buy one of their machines. I mean they are supposed to have simpler and faster video editing, and image editing. Both of which are some of my primary uses for a computer. So will mac ever win me away. Probably not until i can build my own mac as cheap as i can build my own PC.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Reluctant Luddite
Neophyte

Let's see.

-The iPod -- looking above, it seems everyone loves the iPod. Looks like Apple has at least one "killer" product.

-RDF! Yay! I got excited after Jobs announced Jaguar, and I don't even own a Mac (yet :wink 'Course, that means I didn't get jacked by .mac either, so the RDF hit me full force.

-www.crazyapplerumors.com The July 29 article "Apple Enlists Sun As Ally Against Microsoft" is particularly good. If there was a crazydellrumors.com I'd probably love Dell too.