View Full Version : Zune won't work with Media Center video files (recorded TV shows)

sportsunit
09-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Zune won't play Media Center Video Files (Recorded TV)

This is probably the worst product decision microsoft has ever made in the entertainment space, besides not allowing video streaming to the 360. They decided to take the "my tv" functionality out of the portable media center software when they were recoding it for the Zune. So, you can't transfer your tv shows from your media center pc to the Zune. So, it seems that they want you to buy a Zune or a Media Center PC, but not both?? Very interesting decision if you ask me. Why would they want to shut Zune users out of putting their recorded tv on the player. Oh, but of course...I fogot, this is big business. If they allow you to put your recorded tv on there, then you would have no reason to buy shows on Zune marketplace for 1.99. Ok, I get it now. Any thoughts?

Microsoft is starting to work like Sony. The different divisions don't appear to be talking to each other and coordinating to make the products great. It appears that they're doing things independently of one another, with the result being incomplete products that don't link together their different technologies. It appears that they want to punish you for getting a Zune instead of a portable media player like the Gigabeat. But, if they're trying to sell as many zunes as possible, why on earth would they want to do that? If anyone at Microsoft is listening or reading this blog, please drop me a line.

Darius Wey
09-17-2006, 03:16 AM
Zune won't play Media Center Video Files (Recorded TV)

This is probably the worst product decision microsoft has ever made in the entertainment space, besides not allowing video streaming to the 360. They decided to take the "my tv" functionality out of the portable media center software when they were recoding it for the Zune. So, you can't transfer your tv shows from your media center pc to the Zune. So, it seems that they want you to buy a Zune or a Media Center PC, but not both?? Very interesting decision if you ask me. Why would they want to shut Zune users out of putting their recorded tv on the player. Oh, but of course...I fogot, this is big business. If they allow you to put your recorded tv on there, then you would have no reason to buy shows on Zune marketplace for 1.99. Ok, I get it now. Any thoughts?

Well, that sounds more like Apple's model with the iPod, iTV and iTunes Store.

First, we don't know if the Zune Marketplace will be selling videos, so your argument about Microsoft choosing not to have Media Center and Zune communicate in that respect doesn't really hold.

In terms of wireless connectivity, yes, it doesn't support streaming initially, but that's something that Microsoft could enable with a firmware update. In the conference call with Microsoft, Chris Stephenson mentioned that there are many wireless scenarios that their team is looking at and most likely enabling as Zune matures.

Does Zune connect to other Microsoft products? Yes (though, maybe not how you'd like it to). You can plug your Zune device into your Xbox 360 and play media straight from the Zune and out through the Xbox 360. If you have a Media Center, you can access and play media that you have downloaded form the Zune Marketplace (it's all in "My Music"). Would I like to see direct wireless streaming across a broad range of Microsoft products? Sure. But it's not happening now, so keeping fingers crossed, we'll wait for it another day...

Caliente
09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
can someone explain how this works

"So, you can't transfer your tv shows from your media center pc to the Zune"

I was under the impression that you should be able to share all files, just that music will be DRM locked.

So using a USB cable you cant transfer tv shows to the Zune from the media centre pc???

sportsunit
09-17-2006, 09:39 PM
can someone explain how this works

So using a USB cable you cant transfer tv shows to the Zune from the media centre pc???

No, you can't. For whatever reason, whether it's money, or to keep the portable media center platform with unique features... nobody knows. But, you can't do this, which sucks if you're one of millions who own a media center PC. I guess they don't want us to buy a zune. It's an extremely weird product decision to remove features from the product, as the portable media center software that the zune shares with the gigabeat inherently allows this. They DECIDED to remove it for some reason or the other.

sportsunit
09-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, that sounds more like Apple's model with the iPod, iTV and iTunes Store.

First, we don't know if the Zune Marketplace will be selling videos, so your argument about Microsoft choosing not to have Media Center and Zune communicate in that respect doesn't really hold.

In terms of wireless connectivity, yes, it doesn't support streaming initially, but that's something that Microsoft could enable with a firmware update. In the conference call with Microsoft, Chris Stephenson mentioned that there are many wireless scenarios that their team is looking at and most likely enabling as Zune matures.

Does Zune connect to other Microsoft products? Yes (though, maybe not how you'd like it to). You can plug your Zune device into your Xbox 360 and play media straight from the Zune and out through the Xbox 360. If you have a Media Center, you can access and play media that you have downloaded form the Zune Marketplace (it's all in "My Music"). Would I like to see direct wireless streaming across a broad range of Microsoft products? Sure. But it's not happening now, so keeping fingers crossed, we'll wait for it another day...

The zune will already come with pre-loaded music videos. It seems like more a matter of when and not if videos are coming (if they want to compete). Deliberately removing the ability to transfer media center video files (ms-dvr) will forever remain the biggest "what were they thinking" zune product decision.

And, going along with this logic (different technologies not working together), I'm sure when the zune marketplace does get music videos, they won't be able to play on the media center PC interface. So, this begs the question: What exactly do they mean by "connected entertainment?" The products themselves won't even be connected. Sure, you can plug stuff into each other, but nothing works like you would expect it to. I'm not one of these Microsoft bashers. I just expected a lot more out of the company that gave me XBOX 360 and Media Center 2005. Two great products that work well together, for the most part... too bad they're putting the zune on this island by itself.

About wireless sync, it just has to come. It's just silly for this product to have wi-fi without any sort of wireless syncing to your pc. Im guessing that this will be in by next summer. It usually takes M-dollar at least 6-8 months to get a major hardware/software feature like this up and running.

I might sound like I'm whining, but on a more positive note... I'm seriously liking the brown zune. The black is next with the white coming in a close third. It's crazy, I'd get all 3 if I could. It's a good looking device, a lot better than the ipod IMO. I'm not with the simple is better ipod lemming way of life. I like good designs and you can't fault the Zune team for their design work. Excellent. Now, can we get some brown headphones?

Darius Wey
09-18-2006, 03:04 AM
Two great products that work well together, for the most part... too bad they're putting the zune on this island by itself.

Let's see what happens in the coming months. They still have time to tweak features if they want to, and of course, there will be future revisions of the Zune supporting new features.

PatmanLives
11-20-2006, 05:12 AM
I don't care waiting to see what Microsoft does. I agree with the comments that this release is crap. Media Center has software already in place to sync a device. It doesn't work out of the box with Zune. I bought a Zune to record business related shows and catch up when I get time (like on an airplane). The fact that I can't download TV shows to my Zune probably means this thing is going back. I have no use for a portable video device to watch music videos. I am not looking for another source to buy digital videos. Hell, I could get a PSP. This is a huge problem. I'm sure MS pushed the release of Zune for the Christmas season and wasn't ready. And they just want to get the revenue out of their digital content. I don't feel like making my Zune a recurring revenue source for MS.

As far as the XBox 360 connectivity. I can already play my music on my XBox, why do I need a Zune for that. I don't.

I'll take this one back and get one with MS gets their stuff together.

pstork
11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't care waiting to see what Microsoft does. I agree with the comments that this release is crap. Media Center has software already in place to sync a device. It doesn't work out of the box with Zune. I bought a Zune to record business related shows and catch up when I get time (like on an airplane). The fact that I can't download TV shows to my Zune probably means this thing is going back. I have no use for a portable video device to watch music videos.

I don't have a Media Center device, so I can't comment on the ability to transfer videos from there. But I do have an ATI TV tuner card. I record TV shows in MPEG format using that. I can download those directly or convert them to WMV for a smaller size. It works with no problem. I suspect the real problem is that Media Center has its own proprietary format.

Paul

EdZuneEd
11-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I own a Zune and Media Center PC. Here are the steps I used to transfer Media Center "Recorded TV" content:
- connect the Zune to the Media Center PC (establish a guest partnership if it's not the main PC used to sync the Zune).
- the Zune Application should auto launch
- drag MS-DVR files from the "recorded TV" directory to the sync window in the Zune App (it's possible to point the Zune App to auto-sync all content in the recorded tv directory too).
- press the "sync" button

At this point, the Zune App will transcode the MS-DVR files to a small WMV file format--so it can take a while depending on the CPU power.

Once the sync is complete, disconnect and fire up the Zune, select "video", then scroll right and select "tv shows". Done!

tapman
12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
I own a Zune and Media Center PC. Here are the steps I used to transfer Media Center "Recorded TV" content:
- connect the Zune to the Media Center PC (establish a guest partnership if it's not the main PC used to sync the Zune).
- the Zune Application should auto launch
- drag MS-DVR files from the "recorded TV" directory to the sync window in the Zune App (it's possible to point the Zune App to auto-sync all content in the recorded tv directory too).
- press the "sync" button

At this point, the Zune App will transcode the MS-DVR files to a small WMV file format--so it can take a while depending on the CPU power.

Once the sync is complete, disconnect and fire up the Zune, select "video", then scroll right and select "tv shows". Done!

:mad: This simply does not work! The Zune software does NOT allow you to drag & drop a DVR-MS video file onto the sync payne. And it does not recognize and list those video files in the recorded TV directory. Damn shame too, I really wanted it to do this. The only thing I have found is some software that you can buy to transcode the TV video files. It is at http://www.cucusoft.com/dvd-to-zune+zune-video-converter-Suite.asp

Scott