View Full Version : Handango Announces People's Choice Award Winners

Jason Dunn
09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.handango.com/PressRelease.jsp?siteId=1&CKey=1_PRESSRELEASE_PR092903' target='_blank'>http://www.handango.com/PressReleas...ELEASE_PR092903</a><br /><br /></div>Yesterday Handango announced the winners of their "People's Choice" awards:<br /><br />"Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, announced the winners of Handango's "People's Choice" awards today. The "People's Choice" awards are designed to honor those applications that provide customers the best in quality software. Over the course of several months on Handango's Web site (<a href="www.handango.com">www.handango.com</a>), Handango customers cast their votes for their favorite J2ME™, Symbian OS™, Palm OS® and Pocket PC applications. The developer of each winning application will receive marketing promotions from Handango with a value in excess of $5,000 (USD) as well as right to the title "The People's Choice."<br /><br />• Best Business Solution - EzWap by EZOS <br />• Best Education Solution - DictionaryToGo by LearningToGo <br />• Best Game - Snails by Futech Ltd. <br />• Best Healthcare Solution - SmokerStop by F &amp; I Systems Inc. <br />• Best Lifestyle Application - MySportTraining by Exposé Corp. <br />• Best Productivity Application - Agenda Fusion by Developer One, Inc. <br />• Best Use of Wireless - Journal Bar by Omega One Software LLC <br /><br />How many of those applications do you have on your Pocket PC? What would your picks have been for the best in each category? You can also <a href="http://www.handango.com/ViewPlatformResults.jsp">check out the list of runner-ups</a>.

Dom
09-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Be amusing to see what Handango do with the smoking app ... they are not allowed to promote anti-smoking apps (they told me this some time ago) though you are allowed to sell them there. Given that each winner gets $5000 free marketing with Handango this might be a tricky one :)
Dom

Hugh Nano
09-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Odd. I consider myself a Pocket PC power-user, and I have none of these "People's Choice" award winners on my Pocket PC! I tend to take these awards with a sack of salt--this just confirms my tendency...

sixsixty
09-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Odd. I consider myself a Pocket PC power-user, and I have none of these "People's Choice" award winners on my Pocket PC! I tend to take these awards with a sack of salt--this just confirms my tendency...

i sorta agree too. the only one i have on my PPC is snails. i've tried a bunch of those winning programs, but i just prefer to use others.

PocketPC Addict
09-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Be amusing to see what Handango do with the smoking app ... they are not allowed to promote anti-smoking apps (they told me this some time ago) though you are allowed to sell them there. Given that each winner gets $5000 free marketing with Handango this might be a tricky one :)
Dom

Why can't they promote anti-smoking apps? Are they owned by a Cigarette manufacturer?

dh
09-30-2003, 07:08 PM
The only one of those applications that I have is Journal Bar. I like it, but I certainly would not expect it to win an award for the "Best Use of Wireless". Strange.

Best Business Solution - EZWap? I don't even know anyone that uses wap on their PPC.

All in all, not very impressive.

Edit: I checked out EZWap and discovered it is more than just a program to check out WAP sites. Still never heard of it before.

reydiodj
09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Actually, I have AgendaFusion, Journal Bar, Snails, and am considering MySportTraining - I guess I'm not the power user I though I was :roll:

darrylb
09-30-2003, 08:23 PM
I have snails and MySportTraining. MST is great - the new food addon is useful too, although I believe the next version will be even better.

I am surprised to see AgendaFusion beating out PocketInformant though 8O .

Trimble
09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
I am surprised to see AgendaFusion beating out PocketInformant though 8O .

I'm not so sure it did - if you delve into the runner up info, PI has Winner all over it for that catagory.. i think someone flubbed a sort order.

edit - looking at it again, I think that PI is winner for 2003 for handango's own awards, but maybe not the "people's choice"... sigh.

T-Will
09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Yeah I found that odd also...

Andy Sjostrom
09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
strange list indeed. very strange. WAP!?

Doug Raeburn
09-30-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm not surprised in the slightest... well deserved award!

ikesler
09-30-2003, 10:34 PM
I found this list very strange as well......... although I do use Journal Bar and MST....... and really like both.
I just think some others were a little odd to be chosen....... :)
As for Agenda Fusion........ I don't see it........ but heck I didn't even know there was an EZWap... so who am I? :D

cnyprecast
10-01-2003, 02:00 AM
I'm not surprised in the slightest... well deserved award!

I wouldn't expect you to say you were suprised, since you have "unofficially" represented Agenda Fusion for a long time.

It is odd that when I follow the Handango links to the PI page, it shows PI winning the Handango 2003 Best Productivity Application Award and with 163,162 downloads. When I go to the AF page, I see old 2002 awards and only 85,614 downloads. Even if you throw in the additional 10,538 downloads for a different version of AF, the numbers are not close. Now, maybe I am missing something in the way the number of downloads is calculated, but I know both applications well and... beyond that....well, lets just say that something seems strange here. That isn't to say that AF isn't just right for some people... I'm sure it is.

PI has always been a leader and has really accelerated in the last 6 months or so. Its powerful, its flexible and its still as simple as you want it to be.

I also agree with others here that a lot of the list of winners is odd. I find that when I look at the whole list in each catagory, many don't even seem appropriate to the given catagory. Just my opinion.

Bob A.

iPaqDude
10-01-2003, 02:18 AM

i sorta agree too. the only one i have on my PPC is snails. i've tried a bunch of those winning programs, but i just prefer to use others.

I'm in agreement with ya'll. I don't have any of these apps but do have some of the runner-ups. And I do think of myself as a power user.

Very odd... :?:

Doug Raeburn
10-01-2003, 04:25 AM
I also agree with others here that a lot of the list of winners is odd. I find that when I look at the whole list in each catagory, many don't even seem appropriate to the given catagory. Just my opinion.

Bob A.

Thanks for sharing, Bob.