Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Handango Announces People's Choice Award Winners

http://www.handango.com/PressReleas...ELEASE_PR092903

Yesterday Handango announced the winners of their "People's Choice" awards:

"Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, announced the winners of Handango's "People's Choice" awards today. The "People's Choice" awards are designed to honor those applications that provide customers the best in quality software. Over the course of several months on Handango's Web site (www.handango.com), Handango customers cast their votes for their favorite J2ME�, Symbian OS�, Palm OS� and Pocket PC applications. The developer of each winning application will receive marketing promotions from Handango with a value in excess of $5,000 (USD) as well as right to the title "The People's Choice."

� Best Business Solution - EzWap by EZOS
� Best Education Solution - DictionaryToGo by LearningToGo
� Best Game - Snails by Futech Ltd.
� Best Healthcare Solution - SmokerStop by F & I Systems Inc.
� Best Lifestyle Application - MySportTraining by Expos� Corp.
� Best Productivity Application - Agenda Fusion by Developer One, Inc.
� Best Use of Wireless - Journal Bar by Omega One Software LLC

How many of those applications do you have on your Pocket PC? What would your picks have been for the best in each category? You can also check out the list of runner-ups.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Dom
Intellectual
Default Tricky :)

Be amusing to see what Handango do with the smoking app ... they are not allowed to promote anti-smoking apps (they told me this some time ago) though you are allowed to sell them there. Given that each winner gets $5000 free marketing with Handango this might be a tricky one
Dom

Old 09-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

Odd. I consider myself a Pocket PC power-user, and I have none of these "People's Choice" award winners on my Pocket PC! I tend to take these awards with a sack of salt--this just confirms my tendency...

Old 09-30-2003, 06:16 PM
sixsixty
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Nano
Odd. I consider myself a Pocket PC power-user, and I have none of these "People's Choice" award winners on my Pocket PC! I tend to take these awards with a sack of salt--this just confirms my tendency...
i sorta agree too. the only one i have on my PPC is snails. i've tried a bunch of those winning programs, but i just prefer to use others.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:03 PM
PocketPC Addict
Intellectual
Default Re: Tricky :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Be amusing to see what Handango do with the smoking app ... they are not allowed to promote anti-smoking apps (they told me this some time ago) though you are allowed to sell them there. Given that each winner gets $5000 free marketing with Handango this might be a tricky one
Dom
Why can't they promote anti-smoking apps? Are they owned by a Cigarette manufacturer?

Old 09-30-2003, 07:08 PM
dh
Mystic

The only one of those applications that I have is Journal Bar. I like it, but I certainly would not expect it to win an award for the "Best Use of Wireless". Strange.

Best Business Solution - EZWap? I don't even know anyone that uses wap on their PPC.

All in all, not very impressive.

Edit: I checked out EZWap and discovered it is more than just a program to check out WAP sites. Still never heard of it before.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
reydiodj
Ponderer

Actually, I have AgendaFusion, Journal Bar, Snails, and am considering MySportTraining - I guess I'm not the power user I though I was :roll:

Old 09-30-2003, 08:23 PM
darrylb
Thinker

I have snails and MySportTraining. MST is great - the new food addon is useful too, although I believe the next version will be even better.

I am surprised to see AgendaFusion beating out PocketInformant though 8O .

Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Trimble
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Trimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylb
I am surprised to see AgendaFusion beating out PocketInformant though 8O .
I'm not so sure it did - if you delve into the runner up info, PI has Winner all over it for that catagory.. i think someone flubbed a sort order.

edit - looking at it again, I think that PI is winner for 2003 for handango's own awards, but maybe not the "people's choice"... sigh.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
T-Will
Sage

Yeah I found that odd also...