View Full Version : Accessory Frustration

Aaron Roma
11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
<p>I have a complaint.&nbsp; I picked up my Zune (very) early this morning.&nbsp; The Wal-Mart I purchased it from didn't even have the Zunes out on the self yet, so I excused them for not having any accessories out for purchase.&nbsp; (It was only 12:30AM, after all.) &nbsp; No problem, I figured.&nbsp; I'll play with my Zune today at work, and I'll accessorize it on my way home.&nbsp; I'm not a picky man.&nbsp; All I require at this point are two accessories: a car charger, and a FM transmitter.&nbsp;&nbsp; I can purchase them separately, or, as Microsoft has made it easy for me, purchase the Car Kit which contains everything I need.&nbsp; I went to 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Best Buys, 1&nbsp;Circuit City,&nbsp;and a Partridge in a Pear Tree... er&nbsp;Sears.&nbsp; Number of stores selling Zunes: 7.&nbsp; Number of stores selling even a single Zune accessory: 0.&nbsp; What gives?&nbsp; Is it truly that much to ask to be prepared for what is supposed to be a market changing product launch?&nbsp; Everyone loses in this situation.&nbsp; Microsoft loses out on not only accessory sales, but possibly Zune sales as well since there were no accessories available.&nbsp; The stores lose out on add-on sales.&nbsp; The customer loses out because HE CAN'T LISTEN TO HIS ZUNE IN THE CAR LIKE HE WANTS TO!&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone else noticed what the Zune accessory situation is in their market?</p>

Jerry Raia
11-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Seems like poor planning to me too. I haven't even looked to get one of these things yet. They are not off to a good start. :confused:

fgarcia10
11-15-2006, 04:57 AM
The only thing I could find was the cases. Walmart had a bundle with the car kit for $299.00 but they were "out".

Anyhow I was ready for my car connection, I used the extra input on the back of my car stereo.

Jason Dunn
11-15-2006, 05:10 AM
I guess things in the "Zune hometown" are better - the Target I got two Zunes at had the A/V kit, some cases, and a few other things - though certainly not all of the official accessories. The Circuit City had a few accessories, but not many.

The Zune Thoughts store (http://astore.amazon.com/thoughtsmedia-20) is ready to serve your needs however. :D

cameron
11-15-2006, 05:25 AM
While I was initially curious about this - I can see the reasoning from the retailers perspective.

Does the average consumer even know what the Zune is? (OK - why doesn't the spell checker on Zune thoughts recognize the word Zune???) Honestly - if it wasn't for PPCT, I would have no idea about what a Zune is.

If I'm a retailer, I'm probably not going to invest a lot in inventory that I'll more than likely need to carry for a long period of time (at least until people learn about the product). Now, maybe Microsoft should offer some sort of incentives to retailers to stock accessories, but without those retailers won't commit to the product until they see some traction in the marketplace.

Dyvim
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Aaron, if your car stereo has an auxilliary audio in jack, I would highly recommend that over the FM transmitter. I tried the FM transmitter thing for my iPod (using a Belkin transmitter that got good reviews) and it wasn't very satisfactory. At best the quality is FM radio quality- i.e. not nearly as good as the device can sound. At worst, you'll have trouble finding a radio frequency that works without static and get irritating interference noises from any cellphone or Blackberry you may have in the car.

We recently got a new car (Prius) with an audio in port for the stereo. Ah- Nirvana! I could finally ditch the stupid FM transmitter. I don't know if Zune has a line level out capability (iPod does through 3rd party accessories) but that sounds better than the headphone out port, although even that sounds better than the FM transmitter.

Aaron Roma
11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
if your car stereo has an auxilliary audio in jack, I would highly recommend that over the FM transmitter
Oh trust me, I would if I could. My next vehicle, which is comming next summer, WILL have audio in support! :)

jdmountford
11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Our Circuit City has two Gondolas with iPod accessories no (not one single) Zune accessory.

I went to a best buy yeasterday to look. Same scenario. We are off to a rushed and rocky start. But I think that is the Microsoft MO/SOP. We all know it will get better.

MattC
11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Just ordered a case from http://www.agent18.com/. I've used Agent18 cases before for my ipod, and I like them a lot. They're clear, stylish, and protect the screen well. they're also having a sale online right now for 15% off of $24.95 which makes it $21.21
Coupon code:
15%sale
http://www.agent18.com/prodimages/Zshieldfront.jpg
http://www.agent18.com/prodimages/Zshieldside.jpg
http://www.agent18.com/prodimages/Zshieldbottom.jpg

Aaron Roma
11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
I've been keeping watch on my local stores. So far, between the Wal-Marts, Best Buys, and Targets, I've seen a few accessories trikle in. Mostly a few cases and video output cables. One store did finally get a couple car chargers. That's about it so far.

gshocker
11-22-2006, 12:19 AM
My local Best Buy told me they had plenty of accessories but when the guy brought me over to the section even he had to admitt they were all for the iPod. Seems odd that he said they had been selling the units pretty well so why no accessories.

Target had the best selection so far which consisted of Monster slim power adaptors , the AV kit and two cases. Slim pickins..

ale_ers
12-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Why not try buying online? Maybe you are trying to avoid shipping costs?

Aaron Roma
12-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I've noticed lately that most of the stores have finally received a decent selection of accessories... at least all the basics. I thought it amusing that the first place I finally found my car pack was Staples. I never thought about the office supply stores.

Jerry Raia
12-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I noticed the same thing. A Staples here in Los Angeles seemed to have a pretty good selection and display of add-ons.