View Full Version : Google Maps on the Smartphone

bshpmark
07-26-2006, 02:07 AM
I just installed the Google Maps midlet on my T-Mobile SDA today and man is it great. You can get it at www.google.com/gmm I am a cop and am working in a new city and am still getting familiar with the streets. I got dispatched today to an out of the way street I had not been to yet. All I did was run the app, type in the street name and zip code of the city and instantly had the map. Could not be easier. Later, a citizen was trying to find a business but the business had recently moved. My lieutenant asked Dispatch to see if they had it on the CAD system. Before they found it I typed in the business name and zip code and Google Maps showed it on the map with the address and phone number. Dispatch never did find it.

The only problem I had was that either T-Mobile or Microsoft hides the Jave Midlet Manager (jmm.exe). After I closed the app the first time I could never find it again. So I had to unhide the files in the Windows directory with File Manager, then copy the jmm.exe file and paste the shortcut into the Start Menu folder. After that no problem.

I highly recommend this to you if you have not tried it before. Best of all it is free.

ARW
07-26-2006, 05:43 AM
I agree, this is a great app. I've had it loaded for some time and love it.

Here's my current problem. I was trying to free up some memory on my SP5m and I moved the \Application Date\Tao folder off the phone to see what would happen. Google Maps wouldn't work so I moved it back. Still wouldn't work, so I reinstalled from www.google.com/gmm. Wouldn't work, so I uninstalled.

Then tried reinstalling but I get this as an error message "invalid java archive (jar)" and the install fails.

Searched high and low and can't find an answer as to how to correct this. Any ideas anyone?

TIA,

Al