Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 AM
bshpmark
Intellectual
Default Google Maps on the Smartphone

I just installed the Google Maps midlet on my T-Mobile SDA today and man is it great. You can get it at www.google.com/gmm I am a cop and am working in a new city and am still getting familiar with the streets. I got dispatched today to an out of the way street I had not been to yet. All I did was run the app, type in the street name and zip code of the city and instantly had the map. Could not be easier. Later, a citizen was trying to find a business but the business had recently moved. My lieutenant asked Dispatch to see if they had it on the CAD system. Before they found it I typed in the business name and zip code and Google Maps showed it on the map with the address and phone number. Dispatch never did find it.

The only problem I had was that either T-Mobile or Microsoft hides the Jave Midlet Manager (jmm.exe). After I closed the app the first time I could never find it again. So I had to unhide the files in the Windows directory with File Manager, then copy the jmm.exe file and paste the shortcut into the Start Menu folder. After that no problem.

I highly recommend this to you if you have not tried it before. Best of all it is free.