View Full Version : OK, it's here. Now, what do I put on it?

martin_ayton
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Right, I'm new to the whole Android scene, and I find myself with a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S. Once I have wrested it back from my sons, I'd like to know what I should put on it.

I want a navigation system that does not rely on a data connection, and which has maps for North America and Europe. I have been using TomTom to this point, but their tech support is horrible, so I'd be happy to switch.

I'd like to be able to edit basic documents and spreadsheets on the 'phone. Can I do that with a native app. or with Google docs, or do I need something else?

What is the best facebook app out there?

I want a good backup system that will backup to the SD card and, hopefully sync to my PC, or to the cloud. Any suggestions.

I run my personal finances from my phone. I have used SPB Finance to this point and like it a lot. What Android alternatives do you recommend?

Is there a 'find my phone' app around?

I'd like a decent Bible. I have a big investment in Laridian, so I'm hoping that the promised Android version of that will appear, but now is a good point to look at alternatives. Your suggestions?

What about the other stuff, that I don't know about but which I won't be able to live without once you have enlightened me?

I look forward in slavering anticipation to lots of helpful suggestions. Thanks, in advance!

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Google Maps just got updated to 5.0. See if that works for you.

There's Documents to Go and Quickoffice for Android. There's also Google Docs, which now allows for mobile editing.

Facebook, I use Facebook, Tweetdeck, and Launcher Pro's "Friends" (FB and Twitter) widget.

Backup is best done with a rooted phone; Titanium Backup worked great. Also if you don't mind getting more technical, see if there's a way to get Nandroid working for your phone.

I personally love Launcher Pro. It's a great homescreen and launcher replacement.

Pocket Informant for Android is in Beta stage, so if you know the name, you can give that a go.

Chris Hordley
01-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I use a Kindle app and downloaded a bible. It's not perfect but I have used it. Using the contents is a bit tricky but it's handy.

buckyg
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Still waiting on Laridian's Android version too. It may be awhile, so I am currently using YouVersion. It doesn't have all of the translations available that Laridian has, but it works well for me.