Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default Can Students Text Their Way To A Passing Grade?

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/007284.htm

"A very interesting article on student cheating, from uh, the horse's mouth, published in a school paper by the students themselves of Montgomery Blair High in Silver Spring, Maryland. The article gives first account stories of student who have actually cheated during exams, unbeknownst to their clueless teachers. "Teachers' ignorance of text-message cheating makes it even more tempting for students: In an informal Silver Chips poll of 19 teachers from different departments on Jan. 3 and Jan. 4, only two were aware that students use text-messaging to cheat. None have caught any students in the act. Rachel, a student, feels that teachers are too inexperienced with technology to realize students would use it to their advantage. "They're not expecting [cheating] to be that high-tech. When they were in school, they didn't have cell phones. That's never going to cross their mind," she says."

The only way I can see someone cheating by means of SMS is if the exam is multiple choice. Again, Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but I can't see someone texting me the answer to "Discuss the different services a junior college offers a community.", or what about "Define recession and discuss the probable effects a recession would have on today's society."

Earlier today I was posting a reply to this topic on my iPAQ. I had accidentally double posted my reply. I went to the bottom of the screen found the X and presto! I deleted the entire thread by mistake!!! Wrong X. Of course I didn't read the confirmation dialogue either. My humble apologies to Mike whose post it was originally and those of you who took the time to reply. Here it is again for comments and of course, flaming yours truly.
ops: :splat: