Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-14-2003, 05:52 AM
encece
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece
Default How often do you Text Message (IM or SMS)?

How much Instant Messaging and Text Messaging do people in the US do? Now I'm not talking to anyone under 20 or so...who live by their InStAnT MeSsAGiNg and TeXt MesSaGiNg. (though I'm not excluding you from commenting). I'm talking about older adults, thrust into the business world and adult life.

I'm currently 35...not an old man...but not a young "whippersnapper" either by any means. My peer/work groups range from their mid 20's to late 40's. I for the life of me can't get anyone to consistently use and utilize these "new" forms of communication. Maybe once in a blue moon...but the novelty wears off for them very quickly.

I would LOVE to use instant messaging at work. I would find it the most useful there. But my IT department at work blocks the use of IM clients as they run a very tight ship...too tight. A small group of us used Lotus Sametime Messenger for a while but when we switched to Exchange servers...that secret option was lost. We could use NetMeeting...but there is no way as far as I know to login automatically and keep a list of Buddys as it is tied to Windows Messenger now...and those ports are blocked on our network.

At home, I use Trillian with AIM, MSN, and Yahoo! I have a small buddy list of family, friends and coworkers...but no one really uses it consistently. Mostly, I use it to talk to my teenage neices for as long as they'll tolorate their wierd uncle interfering with their 25 other simultaneous conversations.

On my SPV, I have yet to use Instant Messaging as my small circle of IMers use different clients..only a few on MSN. I know there is iMov Messenger...but it is ugly and I tried it twice unsucessfully and finally gave up trying.

But, I love to SMS. I could text message all day long. There are one or two of my friends who do periodically but their usage is sparatic and they used it more for a novelty before it wore thin.

Why is it more popular in Europe than here (at least from my point of view)? Is it because we have better voice plans and people would rather speak than IM or SMS? I can understand this in a way as I just read a post where someone was IMing their wife from the airport to kill time via his SPV or Tanager. Why wouldn't he just use the phone in his hand to call her instead of typing text on a little phone keyboard? Was it just for the novelty or would they rather just type to eachother than speak? (I'm not knocking it...if that's the case. I wish I could get my ex to just text message me so we would never have to speak! ).

I would use both more if I just had more family and friends who would or could as well. (Maybe everyone's throwing me a hint! )

But out of curiosity....how often do you SMS or IM? (Phone or PC)?