Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Mossberg Reviews Windows Phone 7

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/2010102...el-but-lacking/

"Nearly four years after Apple unveiled the iPhone, and more than two years after Google introduced its first Android smartphone, Microsoft is launching its effort to catch up. On Nov. 8, AT&T and T-Mobile will begin selling the first phones powered by the software maker�s new Windows Phone 7 operating system."
Walt then goes on to lament the fact the OS is lacking common features like copy and paste, though when the iPhone was ommitting that feature for two years, it wasn't a lamented feature. Of course, Microsoft will roll out copy and paste in early 2011 if reports are accurate, but still, it is a point Mr. Mossberg gets to raise. Perhaps more shockingly he uncovered that the new Microsoft platform won't sync with an Apple MobileMe account. This is indeed a travesty as MobileMe is a central hub for all of your data on every smartphone out there, except for Android, WebOS, Blackberry, Symbian, Meego and all other platforms that aren't spelled "iOS."

Last edited by Ed Hansberry; 10-22-2010 at 04:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Dyvim
Sage

My favorite part though was where WP7 refused to open an office document that could be opened on iPhone and Android! Can you say, "not ready for primetime"?

Of course the original iPhone could open Office 2007 documents (for viewing only), at a time when WM 6 devices could not, so it is hardly anything new (Windows phones not being able to open Office docs, that is).

Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

@ Dyvim: I believe the document Walt tried to open in Mobile Office contained corrupt data. That he was able to open it in the Office knock-offs on iPhone and Anroid is a compliment to them, but not necessarily a knock on Mobile Office.

@ Ed: Thank you for the snark I so wanted to deliver for Walt's predictable lament of copy and paste, that great once-unnecessary feature that is now a badge of honor or something.

I was also not surprised that Walt can't get his head around a long, easily scrolling list of tiles or icons but has no problem with page after page after page of icons appearing in neat little columns.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
My favorite part though was where WP7 refused to open an office document that could be opened on iPhone and Android! Can you say, "not ready for primetime"?
I think Walt sacrificed a chicken and did a voodoo dance to get a corrupted document that wouldn't open - he didn't mention whether the document could open on the desktop, which would have been telling.

All in all, the review wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

The gist of it seems to be 'it's ok, but not the best out there'...

Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 AM
jimmyfal
Pupil
Default Mossberg head up Apples, _s_

About what I expected from old Apple fanboy extraordinaire Walt. Let's see he kept referring to Android. A platform that did not exist a year ago. That now has 100,000 apps. How hard was it for fragmented Android to catch up? Not very.

Because Android is popular for ONE reason. Freedom of choice.

Apple has their installed fanbase, and Windows has theirs. I'm fairly certain, that the Windows fanbase is being SEVERELY underestimated.

Time will tell, because for the AVERAGE user? This phone does it all. I don't know ANY average users that do more than one thing at a time on their phones, and that copy and paste all day long.

I wonder how long it took him to create that document that wouldn't open. Interesting that he didn't say he tried to open 10 different documents, and he found one that wouldn't open. That particular test shows exactly how skewed he is.

Can't wait till this thing hits the U.S. market. Watch out Walt. You might have to start hiding those paychecks from Apple.

DB,

JF

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfal View Post
[blah blah blah]... I don't know ANY average users that do more than one thing at a time on their phones, and that copy and paste... [blah blah blah]
New to smartphones? Of course you'd want multitasking. It can be very frustrating to lose your place in your GPS software because you took a call, or read an incoming text or email message. Who wouldn't want the ability to cut a password out of Roboform Mobile and paste into a web page, something that requires multitasking >and< cut 'n paste. The list could go on endlessly, but is it really necessary?

His review didn't dwell on either of these points, neither should you. He did mention that both features were coming.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 AM
aicon
Pupil

I already knew I was going to do the 'wait until they get it right' thing. I generally always expect the first iteration of any new product to have some kinks that need to be worked out (bugs, omissions, design flaws...). This is no exception. For some of us, some of the fun is actually in finding out what's WRONG with your brand new toy. At least this time we can hope that MS keeps control of the upgrade/update process in stead of leaving it to the OEMs/carriers like with WM.

There will always be early adopters (true geeks and 'shiny new thing' people) but I expect a lot of Windows Mobile heavy users (who are the natural heirs to Windows Phone) will probably want to pause on this one. I know a lack of copy & paste and multitasking ARE deal-breakers for me, so I'll definitely be waiting till they're in.

The UI is lovely and I'm sure there'll be ways to tweak it's functionality out shortly after it's widely available. Regarding the functionality of the tiles he downloaded and number of apps available, Mossberg is either downplaying, underestimating or not considering the number of Windows developers out there. Microsoft has a large developer community with some heavy hitters among them and I'm certain the Marketplace will soon have a respectable number of apps in it.

All said tho', I agree with Jason: review wasn't as bad as I expected.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Though Mossberg tends to write positive reviews of Apple stuff, I don't think this one comes off as having been written by an Apple fanboi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Walt then goes on to lament the fact the OS is lacking common features like copy and paste, though when the iPhone was ommitting that feature for two years, it wasn't a lamented feature.
The context of his complaint was that it's a disadvantage for Windows Phone 7 since today's competing finger-friendly-tablet-app-phones already have it. He didn't dwell on it or say it ruins the phone experience. He also mentioned that Microsoft "is already working on a copy and paste system, and said it is coming early next year". Lastly, a long time ago Mossberg did complain that Apple was late introducing it (meaning that he thinks they should've had it sooner than they did rather than missing a deadline).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Perhaps more shockingly he uncovered that the new Microsoft platform won't sync with an Apple MobileMe account.
That makes it sound like Mossberg was specifically singling out MobileMe incompatibility, when he really pointed out other missing calendar features in the same sentence (Yahoo syncing, week view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfal View Post
I wonder how long it took him to create that document that wouldn't open. Interesting that he didn't say he tried to open 10 different documents, and he found one that wouldn't open. That particular test shows exactly how skewed he is.
Mossberg never claimed this is a widespread or significant problem and he even mentioned that Microsoft is working on a fix. No biggie.