Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

And after you get all that fixed, since you're running XP on both laptop and desktop, then we can work on Remote Desktop to allow you to work on your desktop from your laptop (or vice versa, actually).

Old 04-19-2003, 02:32 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

You guys are the greatest. I'll be working on fixing this sometime today. Once successful, I'll post back for advice on the Remote Desktop.

Thanx

Old 04-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati42
And after you get all that fixed, since you're running XP on both laptop and desktop, then we can work on Remote Desktop to allow you to work on your desktop from your laptop (or vice versa, actually).
Unfortunately, not the other way -- he has XP Home on his laptop. But still, one way is useful.

--janak

Old 04-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Unfortunately, not the other way -- he has XP Home on his laptop. But still, one way is useful.
Oh, is that a Pro vs. Home thing? I've actually not used XP Home. Well, at least it's in the more useful direction.

Old 04-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati42
Oh, is that a Pro vs. Home thing? I've actually not used XP Home. Well, at least it's in the more useful direction.
Yup, XP Home only has Remote "Assistance", i.e., remote control, not Remote Desktop. That, the lack of any "advanced networking" support, such as complex permissions, and a couple of other things have prompted me not to use XP Home on any machine of mine. It's OK for the typical home user, though.

--janak

Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 AM
DrtyBlvd
Sage

Whilst awaiting shawnc's success, and the next batch of wonderful advice - should I say instalment? - it seems an appropriate time to comment as this is the same point I am up to - an unable to get past for some reason...

Bit of background -
Home box - WinXP Pro
Laptop - WinXP Pro
Aceex BR41 Router

Laptop using Sony WAP & Card (Orinocho Chipset)

The laptop, as mentioned previously, finally just worked - and that was after countless efforts - so all things are happy to connect to the internet.

I've tried running the network set up wizard, but to no avail - it has resulted on more than on occasion with the PC refusing to subsequently boot - System Restore fixed the problem and I haven't had the courage to try again since!

And as might be surmised, that's me at the end of my 'networking knowledge' - and in a simillar position to shawnc!

Old 04-20-2003, 07:21 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Janak, kati and Sven,,

Thank you all very much for your patience and help. Sven, your instructions were very detailed. Unfortunately, everything you told me to check was already as it was supposed to be. I tried soooooo many different things before my wife gently suggested......"dear, don't they have tech support"? Duh! After 10 minutes with a very knowledgable tech support person from lynksys, I am up and running again.

db,

I think I'm going to stay with what I have. I was getting a little nervous while trying to restore my internet connection. I'm going to enjoy this for a while before I try the wireless LAN step. The internet is definitely the big thing for me. If you are able to set up the LAN, post back and let me know.

Again, thanx to all for the help.

Old 04-20-2003, 07:49 PM
DrtyBlvd
Sage

Arggh! Shawnc! Don't leave me on my own! :lol:

I hope my comments didn't sway your decision - Just make a system restorepoint and let's play a bit!! (Assuming the knowledge is forthcoming! I'm sure they are discussing 'charging' you know :wink: )

Old 04-20-2003, 08:39 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Hate to leave you hangin db, but I'm just so relieved to get back to where I started that I'm just going to catch my breath for a few days. Not to worry, your comments had nothing to do with it. Rest assured though, "I will be back" :robot: !