Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-16-2003, 06:36 PM
shawnc
Pontificator
Default Everything Worked As It Supposed To!!!!!

Taking a break from the normal process of ranting and complaining, I just wanted to share my recent experience into the technical world. While I'm far from a "techie", my penchant for gadgets has resulted in me not being a novice. However, RARELY do I purchase/upgrade/integrate anything related to computers (PDA's included) where the process works as it should ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT!

Well, this past weekend I purchased a laptop and decided to setup a wireless internet connection. Purchased the Linksys card and station (802.11g and the connection is SUPER-FAST), hooked the cable into the station, the station into my desktop, and WALA....wireless connectivity on my laptop. The only problem I had is that the connection went so smoothly I figured I must have missed something. Couldn't figure out what I had missed, so I simply inserted the card into the laptop and 2 minutes later I was on the web.

The laptop has a 2.4G P4 processor, so it is MUCH faster than my 4-year old desktop. With that in mind, I knew I would want to begin using it to sync with my Axim. But I was really DREADING this as I expected to lose all of my Avantgo channels and settings and just generally having a VERY difficult time with the process. Well low and behold, there is an option that allows you to sync with a new computer and keep all of your settings (I'm sure thats not news to most of you, but for me it was). To make a long story less long :wink: , a process that I set aside 1 hour to complete took LESS THAN 5 MINUTES! Axim syncs flawlessly and avantgo channels were unchanged.

I'm not shy about complaining when things don't go as advertised, well this time it did.......and I couldn't be happier!

Old 04-18-2003, 10:04 AM
DrtyBlvd
Sage

Balah Blah Blah. :mrgreen:

Smarty Pants.

Took me two weeks to set up my wireless and even then I still don't know what I did. :mecry:

:lol:

Old 04-18-2003, 02:23 PM
CTSLICK
Sage
Default Me too

Its good to hand out kudos every so often...when they are deserved

I was also stunned by the ease of install with the Linksys wireless setup. My wife had resigned herself to hours of quiet cursing from the den. Desktop setup was step by step and easy to follow. I watched in amazement as my laptop automatically recognized the wireless card and boom...it was connected. What...no struggling, no IP address issues? I walked out 20 minutes later with the laptop and told her "here...its done...check it out". She thought I was lying. Honestly, it took me longer to route the cables than it did to get it working. :rock on dude!:

Old 04-18-2003, 02:43 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyBlvd

Smarty Pants.

Took me two weeks to set up my wireless and even then I still don't know what I did. :mecry:

DB,

You ever heard the saying that even a blind squirrel gets an acorn every once in a while, well thats me . Don't quite know what I did right, it's just nice to know that it worked.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:47 PM
shawnc
Pontificator
Default Re: Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
Its good to hand out kudos every so often...when they are deserved

I was also stunned by the ease of install with the Linksys wireless setup. My wife had resigned herself to hours of quiet cursing from the den. Desktop setup was step by step and easy to follow. I watched in amazement as my laptop automatically recognized the wireless card and boom...it was connected. What...no struggling, no IP address issues? I walked out 20 minutes later with the laptop and told her "here...its done...check it out". She thought I was lying. Honestly, it took me longer to route the cables than it did to get it working. :rock on dude!:
I read this and LOL because it mirrored my experience to the "T". My wife could not believe what I had done and how quickly I did it. When describing the process to her I used terms like debugging, hacking, and a few others (terms that neither of us have a clue as to their true meaning) just so she THINKS I really did something. Eventually I came clean.

Old 04-18-2003, 03:32 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc
I read this and LOL because it mirrored my experience to the "T". My wife could not believe what I had done and how quickly I did it. When describing the process to her I used terms like debugging, hacking, and a few others (terms that neither of us have a clue as to their true meaning) just so she THINKS I really did something. Eventually I came clean.
HA! I didn't even get a chance to take credit for my geek prowess...her response to me getting done quickly was "boy they must make it so easy anyone can install it." OUCH! I then proceeded to re-inforce this point by being completely clueless on how to share files and printers. ops: Any pointers...are there instructions somewhere?

Old 04-18-2003, 03:43 PM
DrtyBlvd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyBlvd

Smarty Pants.

DB,

You ever heard the saying that even a blind squirrel gets an acorn every once in a while, well thats me . Don't quite know what I did right, it's just nice to know that it worked.
Shawnc- You can't possibly be the blind squirrel, coz I am! :lol:

Old 04-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSLICK
HA! I didn't even get a chance to take credit for my geek prowess...her response to me getting done quickly was "boy they must make it so easy anyone can install it." OUCH! I then proceeded to re-inforce this point by being completely clueless on how to share files and printers. ops: Any pointers...are there instructions somewhere?
If you're running Windows 98 or higher you should be able to look in Start->Help and type in "file sharing" or something like that and it'll tell you. I believe it involves right-clicking on the drive/folder you want to share, and selecting properties, and then choosing the options that seem to make sense. Probably something similar with the printer. That's on the computer you want to share *from*. On the computer you want to share *to*, you access the shared files though network neighborhood, and I believe for the printer you go to start->settings->printers and do "add printer", and follow those instructions. There's a little more to it, like making sure that you're in the same "workgroup", but you should be able to figure this out from the help files. Post again (probably on a separate OT thread) if you can't get it running.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kati42
I believe it involves right-clicking on the drive/folder you want to share, and selecting properties, and then choosing the options that seem to make sense.
Basically, that's how you do it; however, a couple of notes.

1- File Sharing is not turned on by default in 9x or Me, but is in NT/2k/XP. If you're using the former, you need to go into Control Panel -> Networks and click the File Sharing button, and put a checkmark in one or both options.

2- If you right-click a drive, a folder, or a printer, there's a "Share" option which directly takes you to the Share tab in Properties.

Quote:
and I believe for the printer you go to start->settings->printers and do "add printer", and follow those instructions.
You can also do it from the Network Neighborhood.

Quote:
There's a little more to it, like making sure that you're in the same "workgroup", but you should be able to figure this out from the help files.
Moreover, you don't have to be in the same Workgroup, but it helps.

Quote:
Post again (probably on a separate OT thread) if you can't get it running.
Hmm, isn't this thread OT enough as it is?

--janak

Old 04-18-2003, 04:31 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Whooa....kati and Janak. You mean I can actually send a file from my laptop to the printer that is connected to the desktop? I thought this connectivity was only for sharing Internet access. Me and my wife do taxes as our 2nd job and basically I've (we dear, I meant we ) been doing all the work on the laptop, saving to the integrated SD card, opening the file on my desktop, and printing the returns ops: . Right now I'm struggling with which is the more dominant emotion, embarrasement or excitement. OK, now that that moment has passed, I can say for certain that it is excitement! I will be poring over the help and owners manuals this weekend! Great news!

I love this site!