Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Facebook 1.2 For Windows Mobile Released

Microsoft has released version 1.2 of the Facebook app for Windows Mobile devices. If you launch the Marketplace app, you should get notified. Arne Hess over at The::Unwired also noted that if your Marketplace app has updated itself, you will be able to install it to your storage card if desired. My client hasn't done that yet though - I am on Verizon so it may be a carrier issue. I did get the Facebook 1.2 notice though, so it resides in my main memory.

?

The main feature updates are the ability to "like" a comment or to add to comments. You can see additional screenshots at Arne's site showing those features in action.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
freitasm
Oracle
Default Not available on Windows Marketplace...

Not available in Windows Marketplace yet... *sigh*

Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm View Post
Not available in Windows Marketplace yet... *sigh*
Yes it is. Maybe they haven't rolled it out to all geographical locations yet. As Arne said, Germany has it and so does the US. I don't know about other locations. could also be a carrier issue. I wonder if trying WiFi would yield different results. For that matter, I wonder if the Marketplace would update on my device via WiFi.

Last edited by Ed Hansberry; 02-22-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM
freitasm
Oracle

I am using the new Marketplace, with the United States as default selection. It's not showing any updates available.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 AM
martin_ayton
Thinker

I'm in the UK, on T-Mobile. No Marketplace update, no Facebook update. Facebook 1.2 isn't anywhere on the Marketplace. Bizarrely, if I search for 'facebook' in the marketplace I get no results at all despite v1.1 being at the top of the 'Most Popular' category. Oh, and a WiFi connection makes no difference at all.

Is this broken, or what? And by 'broken' I mean I'm sure that it's all working exactly the way MS wants it to; it's the concept that's broken.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ayton View Post
I'm in the UK, on T-Mobile. No Marketplace update, no Facebook update. Facebook 1.2 isn't anywhere on the Marketplace. Bizarrely, if I search for 'facebook' in the marketplace I get no results at all despite v1.1 being at the top of the 'Most Popular' category. Oh, and a WiFi connection makes no difference at all.

Is this broken, or what? And by 'broken' I mean I'm sure that it's all working exactly the way MS wants it to; it's the concept that's broken.
This all seems very half assed - what are MS up to? Needless to say I have never had to do this with App Store - it just works!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm View Post
I am using the new Marketplace, with the United States as default selection. It's not showing any updates available.
Don't know what to say. Not sure how the marketplace determines who gets what apps when. All I know is, when I launched Marketplace, it told me FB 1.2 was available and I downloaded it.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Don't know what to say. Not sure how the marketplace determines who gets what apps when. All I know is, when I launched Marketplace, it told me FB 1.2 was available and I downloaded it.
Same here. I just opened Marketplace (I still have the older one) and asked it to show me new programs. This was about a page down the list and I clicked install and that was it. It may have been different for me, though, because the older Facebook app came in ROM on my phone so I wasn't asking Marketplace to detect an update to something it had previously installed.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor
Default How am I supposed to get this program??

So the Windows Mobile Marketplace has never worked on my WM 6.0 HTC TyTN II. I'm still running the original ship ROM.

As soon as I run Marketplace it takes up 99% of the CPU. As you can imagine it is horribly slow.
I did manage to find Facebook 1.2 but cannot actual get the product page to load so I can download it.
At this point I cannot even exit Marketplace. I have to use SK Tools to kill the process.

If I go to Microsoft's wonderful mobile site it still offers me Facebook 1.0.0.7p and not the new 1.2.

I absolutely hate apple but geez MS... Is this the kinda of experience you want to present to your users? Come on now.. Let's try to do one little thing right.

And on that note... Does anyone have any idea how I can actually get this new Facebook program?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Did you get 1.1 from the Marketplace? MS's FB app (v1.007) came installed on my Pure. I wouldn't expect the MP to know that and prompt me. Not sure what would happen if I got the new version from the MP. I know that it wouldn't replace the ROM version, but would the system be smart enough to replace the Progam icon's target application with the new version? Or would I end up with two progam icons that look identical. Probably best to move the current one to a temp folder. Then I wouldn't know if it would have done it right though. What a dilema.