Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default My Preciousssss Has Arrived: The Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8

After saving my pennies for many months, and re-directing incoming birthday and Christmas presents into the "Lens Fund", I'm thrilled to have finally purchased a lens I've had on my want list for two years: the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR II. It's a beast of a lens, a full 209mm (8.2 inches) long, and weighs in at a hefty 1504 grams (3.4 pounds). I adore my 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and shoot with it 90% of the time, but the occasions when I need more reach mean I have to grab my 18-200 Nikkor lens or my Tamron 28-300mm. In the case of the Tamron, a lens I used earlier this week at an indoor pool where the light was awful, at maximum zoom it's an awful f/6.3. The Nikkor isn't much better at f/5.6.

My photos from that day were high-ISO and generally not that great. If only this 70-200 had shown up a few days earlier! I'll be going back to the same location in a few weeks, so I'll get a chance to see how this lens performs. I'm not one of those photographers who thinks it's "all about the gear", but you can cheat physics: if there's not enough light, you need a faster lens. One thing is for sure though: I need to put the battery grip on my D300 to use this lens. Without the battery grip, the lens pulls the camera forward in a big way - and it's hard to counteract because the D300 body isn't very tall. I can see why this thing comes with a tripod support bracket - it will take some getting used to!