Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Night I Crashed Windows 7 Nine Times in a Row

On the whole, I'm really enjoying Windows 7 - I've migrated eight of my computers over to Microsoft's latest operating system, and it's working great on all of them. As you can tell from the above screen shot, however, I hit a snag with one of the systems. You'll never believe what caused the problem though: a font. I'd installed Windows 7 on a brand new Intel Core i7-based media machine (yes, an article is forthcoming) and it was running smoothly. I had a bunch of fonts I wanted to install, so I grabbed them all and dragged them into the font folder. They were installing, when all of a sudden bam, my system blue-screened (BSOD). I was shocked, and initially thought it was a problem with my aggressive overclock (I pushed the Core i7 920 CPU from 2.66 Ghz up to 4.2 Ghz) even though I'd torture tested the system for days without a problem. I clocked my system back to normal, and tried to install the fonts again - and bam, it crashed again!

Now I was really curious because it seemed like a font was taking down the whole operating system. A font? I've never encountered such a thing. There's only one way to troubleshoot a problem like this: out of the 400 or so font files I was trying to install, I grabbed 50 of them, and tried to install them, deleting each group of 50 as I went. When I got to the group of 50 that caused the crash, I narrowed the groups into smaller and smaller pieces: 25, 10, 5...all the while triggering BSODs. By the end of this process, I had crashed Windows 7 nine times:

And the font that caused all this trouble in the end? A ridiculous wingding-style font called AmphibiPrint AOE - it's a font full of frogs, lizards, etc. I certainly didn't need to have that font installed - and was surprised it was even in my group of fonts to install. How can a single font take down a whole operating system? I have no idea. But if you happen to be installing fonts and your Windows 7 computer crashes, now you know why...