Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual
Default Windows 7 doesn't like older hardware

I see myself as the resident old-hardware guy here on the site. Recently, I was given a copy of Windows 7 RC and a page of product keys. I took the plunge and installed it on my 933mhz PIII laptop with 700-something megs of RAM.

I was amazed at how smoothly it ran. I did however run into some problems with drivers. I still haven't located a sound driver for the 6-year-old laptop, the default driver works but sounds terrible.

I was so impressed with Windows 7 that I installed it on my home-built desktop, only to find that graphics drivers for my Radeon 9200se aren't available. I was able to make XP drivers work, but there's no Aero. Even worse, the PC bluescreens every time I shut it down. Hibernate doesn't work, it seems to simply reboot the PC.

It's frustrating for users like me, because Windows 7 DOES run well on slow hardware. It just doesn't support older sound and graphics adapters, and it's doubtful that hardware manufacturers will write the needed drivers. I suppose that this is the price to pay for progress though, I can't really expect Microsoft to sacrifice innovation and performance for old hardware and software support.

I might have to revert to Windows XP, which is too bad, because Windows 7 really is an excellent operating system.