Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Home Server Team Announces Power Pack 2

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver...wer-pack-2.aspx

"We are pleased to announce Windows Home Server Power Pack 2. Power Pack 2 fixes known issues and adds new features to improve the Windows Home Server experience. Enhancements include: Improvements to remote access configuration, enhanced functionality for computers running Windows Media Center, and content streaming support for Windows Media Center Extenders."

This adds some special sauce to integrate better with the Windows Media Center client that most of us running Vista have, and some remote access improvements. I'm especially pleased to hear about the latter because at least once a week the Windows Home Server clients on my computers will give me pop-up warnings that my router is no longer configured to accept incoming connections - and this is without me changing a single thing on it. I purposely went with a Linksys WRT54G for compatibility reasons, so I don't think it's the actual router. The update will be available via Windows Update on March 24th - today - so your server should be pulling it down at some point today.

What I'm not sure about is what happens for those people that have an HP MediaSmart PC - does the update still come down, or does HP have to release a modified version of it?