Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Software (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari
Default Kindle Content on the iPhone? Bad Idea.

http://jkontherun.com/2009/02/06/wh...tent-to-phones/

"Although Amazon's Kindle is great device that helps sell content and add revenue for Amazon, the move to offer content on other devices makes sense. Not everyone is going to plunk down $400 for a dedicated eBook reader. Most of those same folks do however, already own a capable mobile phone handset. Why not add those devices to the potential revenue stream?"

Just because a device can do something, doesn't mean it should.  I have a Kindle.  It's one of my favorite tech devices ever and has made numerous plane trips much better for me.  I can't even imagine reading a full length book on something the size of the iPhone.  The idea just makes me cringe. Secondly, the e-ink screen makes reading infinitely easier to begin with.  It's much easier on the eyes, and works great in sunlight.  Just try and do that with any LCD display device.

The Kindle's greatness isn't based in the fact that it's an ebook reader, it's in the way it does it.  The big e-ink screen, wireless connectivity, and insane battery life make it a fantastic device for reading books on a flight or anywhere else for that matter.  I just don't see the iPhone being a great book reader.  It may work as a substitute for some people, but I have a feeling those people are just rationlizing not spending on a keyboard, but not having a really good experience.