Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Motorola CEO Says Windows Mobile 7 Coming in 2010

http://www.appscout.com/2009/02/mot...bile_7_comi.php

"As you know, Windows 6 series is available in 2009 and as compared to Android, we believe in 2009 Android is more competitive; more of our effort and focus in 2009 is going to Android, but in 2010 when Windows 7 will become available, we will then participate in a more focused way in Windows Mobile 7 in 2010."

If I were Microsoft, I'd be more than a little ticked off that my partners were blabbing to the media about the release dates of my products. On the other hand, I guess now we know that we won't see Windows Mobile 7 for at least a year - not surprising given than Windows Mobile 6.5 has yet to be officially announced.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
RogueSpear
Ponderer

I hope Microsoft uses the time wisely. One year for Microsoft, with the resources that they have, should be like 5 years for almost anybody else. One year from now I suspect that the iPhone and Android will be even better than they are today.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear View Post
One year for Microsoft, with the resources that they have, should be like 5 years for almost anybody else.
You just made me spit my milk!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear View Post
One year for Microsoft, with the resources that they have, should be like 5 years for almost anybody else.
I'm curious, what do you base this on? The amount of money they have in the bank? What makes you think they have more, or better, developers working on Windows Mobile than Apple has working on the iPhone? I wish that money in the bank equalled great software products, but that's never been the case in my opinion...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Hopefully Microsoft is taking this extra time to put as much user friendly UI features into Windows Mobile 7 as they have with Windows 7.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 AM
nmcclana
Pupil

Well, if you have 1,000 developers working on something for a year, that's twice as many man-hours as if you had 500 developers. Of course, you need more overhead coordinating things, but still. MSFT has almost 100,000 employees while AAPL has 35,000.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
Well, if you have 1,000 developers working on something for a year, that's twice as many man-hours as if you had 500 developers. Of course, you need more overhead coordinating things, but still. MSFT has almost 100,000 employees while AAPL has 35,000.
Doesn't work exactly like that. If Windows Vista has a feature that needs 1,000 manhours of coding, and it is a team of 5 people, that will take roughly 25 workdays to accomplish. You can't finish it in a day by throwing 125 people at it, or in an hour by throwing 1,000 people at it. There are diminishing returns and at a point, where no matter how many you throw at it, it doesn't help speed it up one bit and may even slow it down.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Windows Mobile Partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
If I were Microsoft, I'd be more than a little ticked off that my partners were blabbing to the media about the release dates of my products.
And it's not the first time Jha has done this. He spilled the beans about WM 6.5, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
On the other hand, I guess now we know that we won't see Windows Mobile 7 for at least a year - not surprising given than Windows Mobile 6.5 has yet to be officially announced.
Unless Microsoft started feeding Jha disinformation after the last time.

Of course, I'm not sure Jha has his facts straight. Saying "Windows 6 series is available in 2009" is simply wrong. Windows Mobile 6 has been available for over a year now (maybe back in 2007). WM 6.5 will probably come out this year, but that's not what he said.

But, after reading that horribly redundant and fractured sentence, maybe it's just his poor speaking ability.

Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Throwing Resources At Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Doesn't work exactly like that. If Windows Vista has a feature that needs 1,000 manhours of coding, and it is a team of 5 people, that will take roughly 25 workdays to accomplish. You can't finish it in a day by throwing 125 people at it, or in an hour by throwing 1,000 people at it. There are diminishing returns and at a point, where no matter how many you throw at it, it doesn't help speed it up one bit and may even slow it down.
Or, as they say, nine women won't make a baby in a month.

People who are interested in this effect should read The Mythical Man-Month.

Steve

Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 AM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
Of course, I'm not sure Jha has his facts straight. Saying "Windows 6 series is available in 2009" is simply wrong.
At the risk of being pedantic, what he said is quite right - the version of WM available in 2009 is still series 6. He did not say that it was being released in 2009; he said that it was available in 2009.

You can hardly blame him. The company is struggling, WM is not expecting an exciting new update for a while, and Android is being actively developed. When your company faces financial troubles, you sometimes choose to take risks, and betting on Android could be a better bet for Motorola this year than trying to compete with new WM devices.