Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Thoughts Site Updates

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Michael Barrett
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to Michael Barrett
Default Hello World: The Chronicles of a Mac Noob

What happens when you set a MacBook down in front of a lifelong Windows developer?  Pure chaos.

I have been using and working with DOS and/or Windows-based computers for more than 25 years.  I got my first computer during my freshman year of college and it came in the form of a Timex-Sinclair 1000.  It was $99, came with 2K of RAM, required a cassette recorder to load programs and you needed a television because it did not come with a monitor.  We sure have come a long way since then, haven't we?

I've only been a Mac user for two weeks, but in that short time I have come to realize exactly why most Apple users are considered "fanboys" by people looking in from the outside.  It's hard not to boast about the intuitive design of the operating system, or the way applications work together seamlessly.  There have been no "blue screens of death" or "fatal exception errors".  Are there such things for the Mac?  I guess I'll find out eventually, but right now it all works. Brilliantly.

As I opened the MacBook for the first time I had my reservations, but those reservations faded quickly and were replaced with ideas for new software.  I'm a developer, and now I have the bug to develop something for the Mac.  Although my day job will always require the use of a PC, I can see myself doing everything else on the Mac.  I'm sure it won't be long until I am beta testing something.

When Vincent invited me to write here at Apple Thoughts, I thought he was crazy in the head, but hopefully I can bring a different perspective to the table that won't drive too many people crazy.  I hope to spotlight Mac software that many of you have used for years while helping others see that not every compliment towards Apple comes from a fanboy.

One thing is for sure, after 25 years in the industry, it's weird being a newbie again.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Welcome aboard :-) It's nice to see a convert even at your tender age!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Joe Johaneman
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Johaneman

I'm in the same boat you are. I was a windows developer for years. I switched to Mac mainly because if Vista was the future of PCs, I wanted no part of it. I was also in love with the UI on my iPod touch. I haven't looked back.

Welcome aboard. :-)

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Welcome Michael! I think having a fresh perspective will be a great thing.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Welcome to the team, Michael!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Michael Barrett
Pupil
Default Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks, everybody, for the very warm welcome.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Welcome to the team, Michael! Have you felt the need to rant about the changed behavior of home/end/etc. and jumping around text boxes yet? That was my biggest pain point at first.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a Timex Sinclair was the first machine I used, too, before moving to the Commodore 64, then to an EAGLE PC clone, and from there into PC-land from roughly 1982 to 2005 until getting my first Powerbook G4... so I can sympathize.

--janak

Old 11-18-2008, 11:02 PM
sgdossey
Neophyte
Default Couldn't agree more

I have only been in the computer field as a network engineer for approx 12 years. I have no hate for the Windows platform, but decided to try a macbook. I did this as a lot of people at my company are switching and I though that I should at least be able to help people with questions about them.

My first order of business was to load up Vista with boot camp which I did so that I would have a useful piece of hardware, so I thought. Well, I haven't fired up Vista since I installed it. The Mac software has been a joy. Some of it has been an interesting hobby, but I am actually starting to prefer it as my main system now.

I will say that it is nice to see both sides (Mac & Windows). At least now when I hear the bashing, I can understand both point of views.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Michael Barrett
Pupil

I took a detour at the Vic 20 before I hit the Commodore 64, but I followed pretty much the same path. My only mistake was not getting a Mac years ago.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Michael Barrett
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgdossey View Post
My first order of business was to load up Vista with boot camp which I did so that I would have a useful piece of hardware, so I thought. Well, I haven't fired up Vista since I installed it. The Mac software has been a joy. Some of it has been an interesting hobby, but I am actually starting to prefer it as my main system now.
I thought for sure the first thing I would do was load Windows, but after spending an hour looking around and taking inventory of what I could do, I decided that loading windows on this machine would have been more like a downgrade than anything else.

I am quite comfortable working in both platforms, but for the past week or so I have done most of my web development work on the Mac. It just feels more natural at this point.