Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann
Default using a non Verizon phone on Verizon network

OK - some time ago Verizon stated that they would allow activation of cell phones not purchased through verizon. Of course they say they won't support it and continue to say that access to special features (which I have never used) like Get is Now and the like will not be availble.

1. Has anyone done this yet? Care to share your experiences?

I called and talked to several people about this at Verizon - they all give me the party line. When I ask specifically about the CDMA network and MHz's I get fuzzy responses. I just can't seem to get to thye correct techical resources (ugh).

2. So is there a difference between CDMA and HSDPA/WCDMA?

I'm looking at the HTC Touch Diamond Pro and the HTC s740 at Expansys for US and both have: HSDPA/WCDMA 900/2100 MHz (and GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Quad-band 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). Now that says for Europe and Asia but I seem to recall that the 900 MHz is also part of the Verizon CDMA network.

3. So if the phone is a HSDPA/WCDMA and also has GSM bands on it (like both of these phones do) could I, in theory, activate these on the Verizon network and will that phone grab whatever signal is strongest be it CDMA or GSM band?

Would love to hear the answers on this one. Verizon is the most reliable network I have used (used T-Mo, Sprint and USCell) but their phone selection sucks and they often limit what the phone can do - I am considering switching to AT&T only for the ability to be able to purchase cool phones like these and active/use them wherever.

Thoughts?