Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sony Ericsson Preparing Launch of Xperia X1

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/cor...xfinal-20080910

"Sony Ericsson today announces 30 September 2008 as the official launch date for the highly anticipated Xperia™ X1 – initially available to consumers in the UK, Germany and Sweden. The handset will be available in other markets across Europe, Asia and Latin America throughout Q4 2008."

Well, it's official. Just three weeks to go before the X1 launches in the UK, Germany, and Sweden. For thirty-two other countries around the world (listed after the break), the X1 will launch in Q4. For North America, Australia, China, and Russia, Sony Ericsson is only willing to go so far as to suggest that announcements will be made in the coming months. Let's just hope that doesn't mean sometime in 2009; otherwise, to HTC's delight, the Touch Pro may soon be flying off shelves.

APAC: Indonesia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam
Western Europe: Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Portugal
Central Europe: Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic
Middle East: UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait
Africa: South Africa
Latin America: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia

Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Fritzly
Sage

It is tempting but without a clear assurance of upgreadability to WM 7 when the OS will be released I will pass on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
cab124
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
It is tempting but without a clear assurance of upgreadability to WM 7 when the OS will be released I will pass on it.
Has anyone heard any type of assurance that the Touch Pro will be upgradeable to WM 7?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
eugarps
Ponderer

Any hint as to the price? With the HTC Touch Pro at $969.00, it's a pretty sure bet that the X1 will be well beyond the amount I'm willing to spend.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugarps View Post
Any hint as to the price? With the HTC Touch Pro at $969.00, it's a pretty sure bet that the X1 will be well beyond the amount I'm willing to spend.
No price has been announced yet. However, we may hear more next week during Sony Ericsson's demo. I'll post details of this on the weekend.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
wspears868
Pupil

When I first heard of this phone, it was the phone that I had to have. I was even willing to change carriers. However, the longer I waited, the less original this phone has become. If Sony-Erickson waits until 2009 to release this phone, I think I'll take a harder look at alternative phones like the Touch Diamond. A year is too long to wait in this fast evolving market.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab124 View Post
Has anyone heard any type of assurance that the Touch Pro will be upgradeable to WM 7?
No official assurance of course, although I think both Diamond and Pro will be upgradeable to WM7...
But for HTC devices there is one assurance - XDA-Developers.
There I'm sure we'll have WM7 ROMs not only for Diamond and Pro but also for all other HTC devices with good enough specifications (RAM/ROM) - hell I have WM 6.1 on my 4 years old HTC Himalaya that originally came with WM2003 and never had any official upgrade not even to 2003SE...

As for Experia - I like the specs a lot, but because of XDA-Developers and general availability in my country I'll probably go with HTC (Diamond or Pro... or maybe the new Touch HD...)

Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 AM
l0wey
Pupil
Default What the!

Did I read correctly that release schedule?
Bangladesh is getting the Xperia before the US or Australia.
Are they mad - not to put too fine a point on it and absolutely nothing against Banglasdesh but really......

And while I'm whingeing where is the Touch Pro HTC - it is all over every other /country website except Australia.

Nothing like Telco deals to stuff the free market!
The Diamond exclusive to Telstra - it isn't selling so they hold back the release of the Touch Pro.

Yet ANOTHER reason to hate Telstra.

and now I can't get an Xperia either - head shake + 20

Rant ends.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Agreed with l0wey, the release schedule is errr...a little different than what I would have expected. No China even? Would've thought one of the largest mobile markets would be included.

Anyways, with each delay this device is getting older and older. With the advent of the Touch Diamond/Pro/HD, I don't think this one is interesting anymore. Think I'll stick with HTC.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I'm glad I didn't wait. When I first saw the X1, I said that will be mine. Next thing I new I had a Tilt and it's been great. It's not that I won't upgrade to a X1 in the next couple years when it actually comes out, but in the mean time by getting the tilt, I have functionality, and will be ready for my "free upgrade" in two years.