Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default TouchStone Fingerprint Sensor for Waterproof Phones

http://www.authentec.com/news-item.cfm?newsID=359

AuthenTec a world leading provider of fingerprint sensors and solutions, today announced that its TouchStone fingerprint sensor packaging technology will enable future generations of waterproof cell phones, including a new phone to enter high-volume production in the fourth quarter of 2008. This new smooth, durable and waterproof packaging technology is AuthenTec’s newest fingerprint sensor packaging alternative for today’s leading cell phone manufacturers. Millions of today’s mobile phones include an AuthenTec sensor to enhance privacy by securing the device’s personal and corporate data (e-mail, photos, contact lists, etc.), provide advanced navigation functions and support secure m-commerce.

Do you password protect your device? I actually don't though I think I should. If you had or if you already have a fingerprint sensor for your device do you or would you use it? It seems like a quick yet secure way to get to your stuff. Now it's even for waterproof devices. I have a feeling we're going to see lots of sensors in future devices.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

I wish I had this. Since I use Exchange at work, I am forced to have a password (which I really don't mind as much as I expected.) But it sure would be nice to have a finger print scanner instead of an eight character alpha numeric.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

This is neat and I would totally use it... as long as no one chopped off my finger to get into my device

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM
kzemach
Ponderer

I would pay extra to have this on my phone, waterproof or not. Passwords are too hard on a phone that I need to have on and off repeatedly. I love my fingerprint reader on my Lenovo T61.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
eagle63
Ponderer

I'm confused, what does waterproof have to do with a fingerprint sensor? Those seem like 2 unrelated technologies. However, I would agree that having a fingerprint sensor (assuming it actually works) would be cool.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
...I am forced to have a password...
You might want to try using TapText, by DinarSoft. I use it to quickly enter my password whenever it times out and locks.