Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung Omnia (SGH-i900) Announced

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i90...de-news-519.php

One of Samsung's worst kept secrets is now official. The Omnia, which many of you previously knew as the i900, runs Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional and packs quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and 7.2Mbps HSDPA connectivity, a 3.2" WQVGA (240 x 400) touch screen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, an FM radio, TV-out, 8GB or 16GB of internal memory, a microSD slot, and a stunning 5.0-megapixel auto-focus camera with support for geotagging, panorama shots, and face and smile detection (whatever that is).

The company certainly picked one heck of a day to announce it. Why? WWDC is half a day away and the world is expecting Apple to unveil the 3G iPhone. So, just who will upstage who? You decide... in 13 hours time.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 AM
alese
Philosopher

Just one question, 240x400?? Who was the genius that came up with that nonstandard (incompatible - at least for some programs) resolution?

As for upstaging, I don't think anyone in Hi-tech can upstage Steve today...

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM
deanhatescoffee
Pupil

It's practically everything I want the iPhone to be (except that the Omnia lacks the Safari browser). Hopefully it's as quick and smooth as the iPhone in terms of the rotating screen and whatnot.

The GSMarena article says that it'll be available June 2008... but will it be sold by a specific carrier or only from Samsung directly? I doubt AT&T would want to put this out at the same time as the new iPhone considering how similar they are, but I don't think T-Mo would pick it up as they're just not as into the smartphones as AT&T.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

This is pretty exciting. I like the looks of this phone. And its US availability is in the near future. I'm not really even considering waiting for the Diamond or Raphael at this point. I'm not even sure how I feel about the Xperia.

I don't see any mention of the CPU in the spec . I wonder if its the Qualcomm. And if so, is it using the correct drivers.

Of course price is a big question too.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhatescoffee View Post
The GSMarena article says that it'll be available June 2008... but will it be sold by a specific carrier or only from Samsung directly?
Both.

Samsung will sell it as the i900. There will also be an Anycall version sold as the i908. O2 Germany has just announced that they'll be selling it in August. I'm expecting announcements from other carriers to trickle out over the coming weeks.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by alese View Post
Just one question, 240x400?? Who was the genius that came up with that nonstandard (incompatible - at least for some programs) resolution?

As for upstaging, I don't think anyone in Hi-tech can upstage Steve today...
lol,
you read my mind.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM
efjay
Theorist

Its already been announced for O2 Germany:
http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unve...ile-smartphone

Availability is expected in June after its unveiling at CommunicAsia starting Jun 17 and hopefully will be appearing elsewhere soon after.