Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Unlocked HTC Touch Dual Launching in the US This Weekend

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1207957070005

Another weekend is approaching, but that typical wind down period isn't stopping Best Buy from gearing up for the US launch of the unlocked HTC Touch Dual. This version features the 20-key layout, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and dual-band HSDPA (850MHz/1900MHz) connectivity, and Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional. So, if you're eager for some 6.1 action and simply can't wait for the Touch Diamond to make an appearance, gather $549.99 and head over to your local Best Buy or shop online this weekend.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I've been eye-ing the Touch Cruise but now that I have something that I can ... er ... touch, I may run out to Best Buy to check it out.

Of course I've also been eye-ing the Velocity models too, but like so many other phones, there's not release date. Then I suppose I'd have to wait another 6 months before they were available.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
beq
Oracle

I'm looking to get new cellphones for 3 family members who are mainstream (non-PDA/smartphone) users on AT&T, since their contracts expire end of this month. They all prefer physical keypad buttons so that rules out the 3G iPhone

I can't decide whether to get them all the new AT&T Motorola Z9 or this unlocked HTC Touch Dual US version. Direct from AT&T the Moto Z9 is subsidized to $200 for renewing customers (I think $300-350 otherwise). I believe the Z9 phone itself is only available in the US with an AT&T firmware. Whereas the Touch Dual US version is $550 unlocked from Best Buy, usable with AT&T or T-Mobile.

I consider the Moto Z9 (4.49" x 2.11" x 0.55" @ 4.94oz) to be AT&T's best feature phone in slider formfactor. HSDPA 3.6, 2.4" (non-touchscreen) QVGA, side buttons with haptic vibration feedback, A-GPS with LBS, 2MP cam with LED, MP3/AAC/WMA/Real player with PlaysForsure, microSDHC, stereo BT, speaker-independent voice dialing, micro-USB data/charging port with audio, Opera browser, old proprietary Synergy OS, etc.

Most reviews extoll the Z9's excellent build, display, voice quality and signalling. AT&T firmware means out-of-the-box support for all features such as AT&T Navigator turn-by-turn directions, AT&T Mobile Music (Napster/XM), AT&T Video Share, etc.

The Touch Dual US version (4.21" x 2.17" x 0.62" @ 4.23oz) has a lot of the same features, along with Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro, 2.6" QVGA touchscreen with TouchFLO finger interface, 20-key phone/QWERTY combo with SureType, more built-in user memory, etc. It doesn't have GPS nor camera flash though (and no Wi-Fi either!). But obviously WinMo offers great advantages such as Exchange with push, and all the 3rd-party software. On the other hand, not being customized for AT&T means some of the carrier's features aren't conveniently available.

In the end the Touch Dual does sound great, especially for my family members who already use Exchange. But how easy is it for them to use compared to a the Moto Z9 feature phone with AT&T firmware? I don't have experience with the latest HTC WM 6 phones, but no one in my family ever liked using any of my previous Pocket PCs! Too clunky in everyday use...

Last edited by beq; 05-23-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I was seriously looking at this phone and the Touch Cruise and lamenting that I couldn't touch one but only admire from the web. In the end I went with the Cruise because of wifi and placed an order having never held either phone. I know that is common with many users on this site, but it was a first for me. In the past, I've always chosen my phone from my carrier's store. I know I was missing out on lots of possible models with that approach, so I took the plunge to the mail order, unlocked world! My Cruise is not supposed to arrive until next week, but I guess I'll head out to Best Buy to play with the Touch FLO on the Dual while I wait.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 AM
beq
Oracle

The photos of this US version still shows a second front-facing camera. I don't think either AT&T or T-Mobile supports 3G video calling (yet), so how is it useful? Do European carriers support this?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beq View Post
The photos of this US version still shows a second front-facing camera. I don't think either AT&T or T-Mobile supports 3G video calling (yet), so how is it useful? Do European carriers support this?
Video calls are quite prevalent in Europe, Australia and Asia.

AT&T's just putting the finishing touches to its 3G network. I'm not sure what the carrier has planned for video calls, although I can't imagine there being any major restrictions.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
Video calls are quite prevalent in Europe, Australia and Asia.
e.g. the rest of the world - this is a mass produced device! For all the backwardness we run into in the world, it still beggars belief that the US are so far behind in power and mobile telecoms. I'm very happy with my Touch Dual 20 key device - had it since October 2007! :-)

Old 05-26-2008, 04:55 AM
beq
Oracle

AT&T's 3G only has an optional paid feature called Video Share which is one-way user-to-user video streaming. Basically both you and your caller have to have one of the pre-approved phones (Moto Z9 and some Samsung/LG models), and be on the monthly-fee or pay-per-minute addon Video Share plan. Then one side can start streaming the video from his phone camera to the other side.

The feature is focused on sharing whatever you're seeing in front of you as opposed to a videoconferencing type application. In other words you would use the camera on the back of the phone (not a front-facing camera which would just capture your own face)...

Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I just got my hands on a Dual for a few minutes at Best Buy. They had them locked under the display case. BB usually just displays dummy phones, but after striking up a conversation with an employee, he pulled a working Dual out of its box and let me play with it. My verdict: I am even more anxious for my Cruise to arrive. I've watched lots of demos of Touch FLO but until you actually use it, you are not quite sure. It works great. I discovered it does require a modest amount of pressure on the screen to work and my initial tendancy was too light a touch. I love the photo album program and it works as advertised. The Dual is certainly lighter than my TILT but not a great deal smaller. The keyboard function is very nice and even though it is only a 20 key model, it is handier than that on the TILT because you don't need to shift it around in your hands. I didn't get to try the onscreen keyboard which is similar to the Cruise because wouldn't you know it, as soon as I got to play with the Dual, other customers were drawn to it and wanted their shot. The Dual doesn't have wifi and I really want that, so I guess regardless of the input prowess of the Cruise, I will be sticking with it- if it ever gets here.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Hmmm.
I went to my Best Buy this Saturday to look at the Dual and they didn't have one. Although the worker's initial reaction gave me the impression that he didn't know what I was talking about.

Perhaps it will be in the display this week.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii