Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Skyfire Beta v0.6 Now Available For Download!

http://www.skyfire.com/

"Skyfire is a free, downloadable mobile web browser that makes browsing on your phone exactly like browsing on your PC. Now, you can use the web from your mobile phone with unprecedented speed and simplicity. For the first time ever, you can watch any web video, listen to any web music, stay connected on any social network and browse whatever you want. Anything you can browse from your PC, you can now browse from your mobile phone. We’re talking about full-featured PC versions of your favorite web sites. Skyfire gives you speedy page loads, full audio, video, images, dynamic Flash content, advanced Ajax, Java and more – just like your PC."

I received an email a few days ago informing me that Skyfire Beta v0.6 Internet browser is now available for download. According to an email, I would receive a SMS message within 24 hours with a link to download the newest browser. Unfortunately that still has not happened yet. For those of you that are a part of the Skyfire Beta, I would be on the lookout for this new version! If you're not a part of the current Beta and are interested in being a part of the second Beta program for the Skyfire browser you can do so by registering here.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 AM
pilotz69
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to pilotz69
Default Not a fan

I had signed up for the beta some time ago, and received a text on Thursday 05/01/08 at 4:05 p.m. CST with a link to download.

I can't say I'm a fan. Sure, it's beta, and currently free, but it's not as if it's web surfing nirvana.

To tout flash video playback is a stretch. Flash video is slow and choppy (MotoQ gen 1, EVDO rev. 0, full bars). It might be a horsepower thing on my Q, not sure.

The full page views on a 320x240 is useless, and using a zoom box is a painfully slow way to navigate. Position, click, wait for zoom to become clear to read, scroll around with a cursor that can click links.

Why do I have to wait till mid September for the Xperia X1?
3G
Touch Display
3 inch 800x480 display
3.2 mp cam
30 fps VGA video record and play
WiFi
Windows Mobile 6.1
Video Calling

Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Yeah! Great! Really impressive!
When advising this sort of thing, and it is available only to those living in the US - is it possible to include that in the posting - that way us poor neglected non-american's can atleast ignore it and move on to something else.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph View Post
...When advising this sort of thing, and it is available only to those living in the US - is it possible to include that in the posting - that way us poor neglected non-american's can atleast ignore it and move on to something else.
Normally that is something I would have done but for some reason unknown, even though I read that Beta testing would only be open to US participants, it just did not register

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

I signed up on 2/1, which puts me in the beta 1 group. They sent a follow-up message on 3/27 saying that they'd have all people who signed up for beta 1 taken care of by the end of April. Still waiting. So far, not impressed with the company.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
SteinyD
Neophyte

downloaded this beta, installed it, registered and created my account. When I start it up and enter my user id and password it shows that it is connecting but then comes back and tells me that, "lost network connection. please try again later". This is while having a good connection, sitting still and having just finished browsing with PIE and having Good Messaging running in the background and keeping my data connection open. I also stopped Good Messaging and still have this issue.

Any ideas?