Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Tellme It's Not True: Microsoft's Voice Search on Blackberry Before Windows Mobile

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/23/...y.ap/index.html

"Windows Mobile does have and support voice-enabled functions, but this is an interesting twist. Due to better support for Java, Microsoft's Tellme subsidiary is offering its voice search for Blackberry devices before it goes live on Windows Mobile handsets. Tellme keeps track of where you are through your phone's GPS radio so your search results are local to where you are... Device owners can tap a button and speak their search query; in return, Tellme will offer local results using the Microsoft Live Search engine."

You know what? I'm not really too broken up about this. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is pretty cool in theory but to quote Lawrence Peter Berra - "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not". As amazing as Microsoft's Voice Command service is on our handsets the one major drawback I have always encountered is that it just does not work very well at all if you are not in a quiet room. Same thing goes for voice enable telecom services! Every time I try to use anything voice enabled and there is any noise in the background whatsoever then the service flat out fails... unless I yell my command into the microphone but then you just end up looking insane. This is the exact reason why I have stopped demoing the Voice Command feature for people who are interested in learning more about my phone.

Who knows, maybe this is a Trojan horse for Microsoft to make all Blackberry users look crazy while they shout into their handsets - aggravating them to the point where they switch over to Windows Mobile devices.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Is this a surprise? Aren't Microsoft releasing Silverlight for Symbian before Windows Mobile?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
swtrainer
Pupil
Default Windows Voice Command

I couldn't agree more with the author - Windows Voice Command on my Blackjack II just doesn't work well enough to be useful in real life. If I went into a soundproof room, it might...MIGHT...work sometimes.

In reality, you better not have a fan going or have any road noise in the background while you're driving or you'll just end up mad before you actually connect. The voice recognition technology on my BlackBerry Pearl was far superior.

If Microsoft is doing something using voice recognition on any cellphone, including BlackBerry, I'd say forget it. Its just not worth the heartburn.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM
ajwalker
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ajwalker Send a message via Skype™ to ajwalker

Rocco;

I agree, it's a frustrating experience to say the least. The cartoon illustration is right on point as to how my experience has been.

Until the solution is at least as rock solid dependable like Naturally Speaking, I don't see the point.

By the time I hit the button, enable the application, it loads and then tries to "hear" what I am saying, I could have already placed the call. And don't even talk abut trying to use a bluetooth headset.

Disclaimer: I'm using the Motorola solution on the Q9h so your mileage may vary.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I have been using it on my Samsung Blackjack and I must say, when I'm in my office Microsoft voice recognition software such as Voice Command works beautifully. In fact, when I'm in my office I find it easier to use Voice Command over actually smartdialing numbers in my handset.

If one there was a way to mute the world when we were outside though

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
ajwalker
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ajwalker Send a message via Skype™ to ajwalker

Rocco;

I'll conceed the Microsoft solution would probably work better.

The Motorola voice command application is not very good on the Q9h, IMHO.

Another example of OEMs mucking around with Windows Mobile

Last edited by ajwalker; 04-25-2008 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwalker View Post
Rocco;

I'll conceed the Microsoft solution would probably work better.
In a quiet room, MS Voice Command works better than any other solution I've tried on my WM device. Even the integration with Live Search is great.

I generally use it when I'm alone and in an enclosed place like my car. I don't like the idea of people around me hearing what I'm doing.

But then again I try my best not to use voice prompt menus when I call other companies. There's something about speaking my credit card number, mothers maiden name, and last 4 of my SSN when I'm in public.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
But then again I try my best not to use voice prompt menus when I call other companies. There's something about speaking my credit card number, mothers maiden name, and last 4 of my SSN when I'm in public.
Yeah, if I have to use a system that requires that I speak that information, and it does not give me the option of punching it in on the ol' keypad, I just hang up and call back when I'm in a private room as well - and even then, I yell into the phone until I can speak to a real person

Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
hutbug
Neophyte
Default moto qh voice recognition much better

I tried Windows Voice Command on two different devices, and it wasn't nearly as good as the built-in voice recognition software on the moto qh.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
prototype
Ponderer
Default Voice Command over Bluetooth.

I've been using VC for a few years now, and I know the issue of 16khz sampling vs 8khz sampling over Bluetooth has come up before. Basically VC on the device was optimized for 16khz sample rate using the devices mic, then bluetooth headsets came into the picture and they only sampled at 8khz.

See this MS Blog entry for details:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...-over-bth.aspx

The author of the Blog says:
"the issue with the solutions that make existing VC work on BTh headsets is that the recognition rate goes down. We would rather do the work to do a full 8 kHz model that meets our quality bar."

I often get bad recognition, but I can't say whether is was with a bluetooth headset or not.

Anyone notice a trend on their side?

Anyone know how/if Microsoft resolved this? or did MS hack 1.6 to get it to work out of the box?