Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default The iPhone is Already the Top Mobile Browser

http://www.macworld.com/article/132.../iphonetop.html

"It's been on the market for just six months, and already the iPhone (plus its Wi-Fi-only variant, the iPod Touch) is the most used mobile browser for Internet access in the U.S., according to Irish researcher StatCounter. At No. 2 is the Symbian OS used in Nokia's devices. Globally, the two positions are reversed. In either case, Windows Mobile -- in all its versions -- is just a blip."

This just seems impossible doesn't it? How can that slick, constantly and dynamically evolving WM browser get beat out by the new kid on the block? I'll tell you how. WM fell asleep face down in the corn flakes at the breakfast table. The only way a company bigger than some countries could let this happen is by being unconscious. Oh but don't worry, 6.1 is on the horizon with (sound of trumpets) zoom in/zoom out browsing! Even better, it will arrive well after the next generation iPhone has been out a while. Makes your eyes water doesn't it?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 AM
peterf
Neophyte

they forced everyone to get a $20 data plan, of course they arent going to let it go for nothing. I know MANY MANY people with Windows Mobile phones without a data plan, they like them because they have GOOD KEYBOARDS FOR TEXTING, and dont require web browsing, hence them not showing up in these statistics.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 AM
stevew
Theorist

Sure 6.1 is coming out but, when will the carriers release it or will they even? A new update comes out and it's weeks maybe months before it's available to users with existing units. Want it now, buy a new phone.

I'm telling you WM is on it's way out. I see Microsoft dropping WM like a hot potato before to long. It's time we all face it and get ready for that.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by stevew; 04-11-2008 at 02:28 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

I agree completely that MS has been asleep when it comes to developing their mobile browser but I'd offer one ameliatory comment nonetheless. One reason that WM is "just a blip" is that many (most?) of us who actually use the browser find it works better when it's masquerading. Many sites which actually can work with PIE are set up to complain when PIE shows up as the browser ID string.

That said, it's clear that PIE could be much, much better. Opera Mobile (and Mini), NetFront, and others (including the iPhone Safari) show what's possible.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Kamokazi
Neophyte
Default yep

Heh, I can't even get a desktop browser to handle cnet.com very well.

And yes, PIE is an absolute joke, Opera Mobile is what I use for regular browsing.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 AM
BBF
Pupil

It certainly does help that ALL iPhones come with internet access and have a half VGA screen.

But I do agree that the mobile IE that comes standard with WM 6 is pitiful, doesn't help things at all.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Since Microsoft became obsessed to be accepted by big corporation they stopped to be innovative.
Bill Gates and Jim Allchin should get back and replace all these bean counters running or, to be more exact sinking, the company!
WM is a perfect example of this nefarious behaviour; nowadays everybody carry a phone but in spite of this they kept focusing only on the corporate segment.
A quick look at the trend of MS in the stock market is the best proof, if any is needed of what a failure the actual management is. Even Ms. Fiorina could not have done more damages.

Last edited by Fritzly; 04-11-2008 at 04:24 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

While Microsoft has to take a huge portion of the "blame" for this. They aren't alone, their OEM/ODM partners have failed miserably in the hardware department. Part of the reason the iPhone Safari experience is better and more usable is the larger high resolution screen, fast processor and plentiful memory. Every WM phone falls on it's face in at least one 2 of these areas, and most don't even hit it on any of them. Apple has done a great job of combining the software and hardware to make the mobile experience decent.

We also can't count out demographics here, though. I suspect most iPhone owners are most likely 18-30 years old and the device is used for more personal purposes. These people simply use the internet more than what the typical WM user does - at home and on the go. How many WM devices have been issued by corporations to a 50 year old executive that simply uses it read email and check his calendar?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 AM
volwrath
Ponderer

How many browsers can you run on an iphone? How many on a WM6 device? I currently have 4 loaded, and use skyfire the most (and skyfire will do things the iphone only dreams about)

Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
How many browsers can you run on an iphone? How many on a WM6 device? I currently have 4 loaded, and use skyfire the most (and skyfire will do things the iphone only dreams about)
Personally as many as I want.
Besides this is not the point; how many people would even think about using a different browser than the standard MS IE that came preloded on the computer they bought? What you, I or other people posting here are willing and able to do does not represent what the average user would or could do.