Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default User Names Now Merged - Having Problems? Let Us Know

Ok, we've finished the final step in the migration process: we've merged forum user names. If you registered as johndoe at Pocket PC Thoughts, and were also johndoe at Digital Home Thoughts, and both are using the same email address, you should be golden: you'll see a merged post count (those are some big numbers people!), and your password from Pocket PC Thoughts should get you in here. One network, one login, one profile, multiple sites. My long-time vision has finally been made a reality. And there was much rejoicing...

On the other hand, you may have run into trouble. Maybe your profile isn't working, maybe you can't log in - if you've tried asking for a password reminder, and that didn't work, let us know. Here's how: post a message in this thread explaining what kind of problem you're having. Don't post your email address or any private information (such as your password), just post a message indicating that you're having trouble. Our team will contact you via private messaging and we'll get it worked out.

UPDATE: Sarcastic Inner Voice (SIV): "Gee Jason, how can they post a message if they can't log into the site?". Well, erm, ah, I'm glad you brought that up SIV! If your account is so messed up that you can't log in to post, use the contact form to send us a message. Please ensure you give us your user name, and the email address on your account. You confirming your email address on file, even if it's an old one, is one of the few ways we have to know it's really you contacting us...

Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Ok, we've finished the final step in the migration process: we've merged forum user names. If you registered as johndoe at Pocket PC Thoughts, and were also johndoe at Digital Home Thoughts, and both are using the same email address, you should be golden: you'll see a merged post count (those are some big numbers people!)
Congrats on breaking the 20,000 post barrier, Jason.

Now, too bad we lost our join dates.

--janak

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Congrats on breaking the 20,000 post barrier, Jason.
Thanks. It feels good to be the "big dog" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Now, too bad we lost our join dates.
Yeah, Fabrizio tried to salvage those, he ran into some trouble with it. He might be able to correct it later.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Edited - it looks like my posts have now caught up with me. I don't think I saw that number when I last posted.

I really like the merged forums. Much easier than maintaining a bunch of different logins.

Last edited by paschott; 03-20-2008 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

The good news is, my login and password transferred over just fine.

However... did I notice that there was no place to actually log in on the home screen? I'd like to see that homepage log-in back, so I don't have to jump to another page to log in before I check my CP.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Yeah, Fabrizio tried to salvage those, he ran into some trouble with it. He might be able to correct it later.
It would be nice to have those back. i saw mine and wondered what was going on. Viewing all my posts (at least the 100 that the search lets you get) shows me posts at least two years older than my join date!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:23 PM
jgrnt1
Theorist

First, I want to say that the new look on PPCTs is great -- clean, smooth, logical and easy on the eyes. It's good to see improvements still being made after all these years.

That said, any update on the return of subscriber options? I'm getting some odd behavior from PPCT when I access if from different PCs. I had turned off ads in my options. When I access it from the PC in my home office (the PC I use the most), I'm logged in and ads are on. If I access it from one of my kitchen PCs, I'm not logged in, but ads are off.?.?

I realize you'd rather I didn't turn off the ads, but it was an offered option. I will say that the ads seem a bit less obtrusive with the new layout, but I'd still like the option.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
That said, any update on the return of subscriber options? I'm getting some odd behavior from PPCT when I access if from different PCs. I had turned off ads in my options. When I access it from the PC in my home office (the PC I use the most), I'm logged in and ads are on. If I access it from one of my kitchen PCs, I'm not logged in, but ads are off.?.?
We're in the process of implementing our subscriber service back into the sites, and when it's ready, you'll be able to switch off the ads.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
jgrnt1
Theorist

Any news on the join dates? I know the updates and the hacking took a lot of work to fix, so join dates are a low priority, even if they are fixable. The reason I ask is I was cleaning up some (very) old saved emails and I saw my "Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts Forums" email, from 5/23/02, which means my 6th anniversary as a registered user will be this week. Drinks are on me!

I don't know if I became a member in October 2002 or 2003. I don't have the original email, but do have a renewal email from October 2004.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
Any news on the join dates? I know the updates and the hacking took a lot of work to fix, so join dates are a low priority, even if they are fixable.
In speaking with my developer, he basically said it's unfixable - which sucks. I might see if I can get someone else to look at it, maybe there's another approach...