Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default modu mobile: What Is This Thing?

http://www.modumobile.com/

I'm running out the door for an appointment, so I'll just quote Rocco off Smartphone Thoughts:

"modu mobile has released a teaser video to help get the masses excited as well as getting our blood pumping. From what I can tell, the modu is a very tiny gadget that appears to plug into stuff. There really isn't much information floating around, but from looking at the video one could assume that with the constant shots of digital cameras, GPS equipment, video games, and other fun stuff in this video that modu might come out swinging in the realm of tying all your digital products together in one little bundle of awesomeness. Until we hear something official from modu though, your guess is as good as mine. In the meantime, enjoy the teaser video below!"

What *is* this thing?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I'm guessing the device that has all your info on it, and you just plug it into whatever console is handy to access that info. Something I've been dreaming about for years. As long as the consoles are ubiquitous, that is.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

That idea requires standards... This could theoretically be done with flash cards... have your files, your address book, etc. Kind of like an enhanced SIM card. The problem is that just like flash memory, I doubt that you could get enough hardware consoles to standardize on a single device to do all the things they show.

Then again, I could have totally misunderstood what that video was trying to show.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 AM
theon
Ponderer

My guess would be it's some sort of flash card standard that comes with a phone/mp3 funtionality built it. *stick head out*

Looks like an mp3 player plugging into a laptop PCMIA slot?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Sim card/flash memory/mp3 player/watch?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
mhynek
Ponderer

I wonder what safeguards are employed to protect your information should it ever be stolen or lost and found by an opportunist? Would that card work in a similar fashion as a SIM or would it merely be an enhancement to your exsisting phone? Either way, I think the idea is interesting. However, as it was said before, unless the automotive, audio, and cellular industries embrace it and standardize for it, the likelihood of it's success is bleek. Although I wish them well.