Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default CES 2008: Gear Diary First Impressions of i-mate Ultimates

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/01/14...mate/trackback/

"So what were our overall impressions of the new i-mate Ultimate line? They are solid, well made, full-featured, and there is something for almost everyone. Although I suspect that there will be some who think the Ultimates are too big, too thick, or too whatever - we were truly impressed by them."

Judie Lipsett and Jerry Raia from Gear Diary had a chance to sit down and fondle a few of the about-to-be-released models from i-mate's Ultimate line at the recently concluded CES 2008. What came out of that meeting were a whole bunch of nice pictures and first impressions of four models: the 8150, 8502, 9502, and 6150. It appears all four will be available in the near future, although prices were not disclosed. Good stuff, and worth a look.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM
frax
Pupil

The 8502 sounds interesting, but I just placed by order for a Kaiser!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Knocksock
Pupil

First, I would say its a pity that you chose Kaiser instead of 8502. But, I assume you would have waited quite a bit for the 8502 to arrive. Kaiser is ok

Secondly..I must say I am not impressed of the 2 journalists research of i-mate as a company since they didn't spot Jimbo on 300 metres distance

Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
netboy
Intellectual

i cant wait for 9502 to replace my eten x800!
wait, i already replaced my eten x800 with Imate 6150.
but 9502 is even better, with build in GPS, VGA, and tri-band HSDPA!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

Good things started happening after Imate broke up with HTC. Anyone knows who manufactures the Ultimate series?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocksock
First, I would say its a pity that you chose Kaiser instead of 8502. But, I assume you would have waited quite a bit for the 8502 to arrive. Kaiser is ok

Secondly..I must say I am not impressed of the 2 journalists research of i-mate as a company since they didn't spot Jimbo on 300 metres distance
First of all, we are bloggers not journalists, so says Gizmodo. :wink:

Secondly, it's OK, he didn't recognize either of us at 3 meters. :lol:

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
netboy
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaAddict
Good things started happening after Imate broke up with HTC. Anyone knows who manufactures the Ultimate series?
I think the real reason for breakup is HTC is impotence of making VGA pdaPhone that fits in your pocket!*

*my opinion

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
srmz
Ponderer

I read somewhere in this preview that the 9502 is manufactured by "MobiNova" after Imate broke its relationship with "TechFaithWireless". Now that is a concern as never heard of this company MobiNova. What will the build quality be like?? How good will be the fit and finish?? Will the device be reliable in the longer run ?? And many more such apprehensions obviously creep up.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmz
I read somewhere in this preview that the 9502 is manufactured by "MobiNova" after Imate broke its relationship with "TechFaithWireless". Now that is a concern as never heard of this company MobiNova. What will the build quality be like?? How good will be the fit and finish?? Will the device be reliable in the longer run ?? And many more such apprehensions obviously creep up.
You are right about the new manufacturer. See Judie's comment in the original article.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Knocksock
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy
i cant wait for 9502 to replace my eten x800!
wait, i already replaced my eten x800 with Imate 6150.
but 9502 is even better, with build in GPS, VGA, and tri-band HSDPA!
My personal opinion is that 9502 is a bit big and heavy - the design is, well not very new. Maybe areas where the Sidekick has been popular it will be popular. The 6150 and 8150 is made by Arima and I would say 6150 is a quite plain PDA, very nice 2.8" VGA screen, feature as connecting to an external display is nice, camera is ok. Some say it could have a larger screen as the 6150 don't have 12 keys keyboard as 8150 have, but only 0.2" larger screen (and size is the same for 6150 and 8150). I believe the GPS is not the best on the market, but we'll see how it performs. The HSDPA/HSUPA is nice!! But it ofcourse drains power, something is very much related to the user pattern of Bluetooth, Wlan and so on.