Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-29-2007, 04:36 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Google Maps 2.0 with My Location Released

http://www.google.com/gmm/mylocation.html?hl=en_US

"If you have a GPS-enabled device, this blue dot corresponds to your GPS location. At times, or if you do not have a GPS-enabled phone, you might see the blue dot surrounded by a light blue circle (as shown on the right) to indicate uncertainty about your location. Why the uncertainty? The My Location feature takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map - it's not GPS, but it comes pretty close (approximately 1000m close, on average). We're still in beta, but we're excited to launch this feature and are constantly working to improve our coverage and accuracy. The My Location feature is available for most web-enabled mobile phones, including Java, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Nokia/Symbian devices."

Google has updated its mobile Maps offering to 2.0 with support for My Location, a positioning feature that works without the aid of GPS. There's also enhanced support for numeric keypad navigation and noticeable speed improvements. All in all, a worthy update and one that you can download immediately by pointing your mobile browser to www.google.com/gmm.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM
frankenbike
Intellectual

Well it didn't work with my Mogul on Sprint in LA. But they did say they're still working on it.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM
redlynr
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenbike
Well it didn't work with my Mogul on Sprint in LA. But they did say they're still working on it.
And it doesn't work on my AT&T 8525 here in Allentown, PA. Everytime I select "My Location", I get a message that this option is "temporarily unavailable".

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Ward
Ponderer

It worked for me in the Northwest UK.

Worryingly, its considerably more accurate than 100m and no, my GPS wasn't accidentally activated.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
mhynek
Ponderer

I have an original Motorola Q on Verizon. I got the location error too. Anyone know why?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Works great on my TyTN II on AT&T in Springfield, MO.

Not super accurate yet but still pretty cool for a beta. This will be great for people without GPS!

Mine said i was within 1700 meters. And actually that was a little off. Oddly enough it was off the exact same amount and direction everywhere in town.. So perhaps it is just a calibration issue.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
MerlinAZ
Pupil

"Your location is temporarily unavailable" in Phoenix.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
frankenbike
Intellectual

Summary: Not yet ready for "prime time".

I guess we should consider this a "public beta" rather than champion it as a milestone release. Fine with me, since it's free, but I'm hoping that Google has some way of detecting the errors and where they occurred. If not, there should be a feedback form with zipcodes, cell service company and phone make/model information that they can collect in a database to target fixing the problem.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

This depends on the cell towers actually providing a gps signal. I assume that not all do yet.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 AM
del1313
Pupil

"Your location is temporarily unavailable" on a Treo 750 running WM6 in San Diego. It worked in one place today, but said it was only accurate to within 5000M, and it was about that far off. Other than that one spot, it hasn't worked anywhere else I've been.