Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Ships Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5; Available on MSDN

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/su...ns/default.aspx

"Now available on MSDN Subscriptions � Visual Studio 2008 The next version of Visual Studio, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, provides an industry-leading developer experience for Windows Vista, the 2007 Microsoft Office system, and the Web. Visual Studio 2008 editions also will be released�on a staggered schedule�to Subscriber Downloads. To find out more about the new versions, see the Visual Studio Developer Center. All English Visual Studio 2008 Editions will be available from "Top Downloads" below."

Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5 have shipped and are now available on MSDN Subscriptions. And there's a lot here for mobile developers to chew on - of course, the .NET CF 3.5 (with implementations of WCF and LINQ), but also a new Device Emulator and support for unit testing. Any developers here given VS2008 a spin yet?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:33 PM
LordFuzzy
Pupil
Default Pretty Neat

I've been working with the Beta since it came out. At first being a beta of course their were problems, but now with Beta 2 its almost flawless. I've been doing mobile programming since eVB and the one thing that was always lacking was support of the entire device. You could do this but not this type stuff. So far with VS2008 i havn't run into that. Except for FullScreen Support. There is still a work around for that which i never understood why we can't have that control. Overall i would have to say VS2008 is a great imporvement especially with WCF and LinQ support. Thats helpful for us Mobile Database Programmers. However if you are not using databases and already have VS2005. I would think long and hard before upgrading. You might not see any additional benefit.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Personally I haven't even touched VS 2008. I haven't seen anything for us C++ native developers besides the new emulator though if I could get rid of IntelliSense corruption that would be enough of a reason for me to upgrade.

But I'm still going to give it a few months to make sure I don't hear any major issues from other devs first

Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 AM
PeterLake
Ponderer

LordFuzzy, this is the second time I've been helped by one of your posts (the first being some suggested ways to isolating some problems I had on upgrading my phone to WM6 -- which I did, BTW).

I was going to upgrade today from VS2005 to VS2008, but I will follow Alex's lead and wait.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 AM
LordFuzzy
Pupil

Glad to be of some help. The Internet is a wonderus thing...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Pete Wilson
Pupil

I will be especially reluctant since Microsoft requires VS 2008 Professional for Mobile Development.

I was using VS 2005 Standard edition.

I hope Apple is smarter about the iPhone SDK. Sometimes I think Microsoft would like Windows Mobile to fail.